Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default KURT KTR35 'Sine' Toolroom vise

Good afternoon! Wondering if anyone has experience with this vise, do you like the function of it?

I'm thinking to use this one one of a few machines for easy setup of angles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sometimes need to use a "sine" vise, so I took a look at the Kurt. It looks like a nice vise accurately ground on 3 sides, but as far as being a sine vise, this is what they say-
    "This vise can also be used as a sine vise when using another vise as a receiver." So, it does not have a built in sine base, it would have to be mounted to a sine plate. Using another Kurt vise to hold and tilt this little vise would not be as accurate for inspection as using a sine base. But may be good enough for many jobs.

3. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    I sometimes need to use a "sine" vise, so I took a look at the Kurt. It looks like a nice vise accurately ground on 3 sides, but as far as being a sine vise, this is what they say-
    "This vise can also be used as a sine vise when using another vise as a receiver." So, it does not have a built in sine base, it would have to be mounted to a sine plate. Using another Kurt vise to hold and tilt this little vise would not be as accurate for inspection as using a sine base. But may be good enough for many jobs.

One of the old timers I work with has a set of 6" jaws for a Kurt that have a sine bar built into the fixed jaw. One simply sets the gage block stack on the ground way of the vise, sets the sine bar atop it, and tightens the retaining screw. I can't for the life of me remember what brand they were, and a quick google doesn't turn them up. They wouldn't work for huge/heavy stuff, but for the stuff I was doing, that fit in the palm of my hand, they were an awesome time saver. I'll report back if I can find them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    One of the old timers I work with has a set of 6" jaws for a Kurt that have a sine bar built into the fixed jaw. One simply sets the gage block stack on the ground way of the vise, sets the sine bar atop it, and tightens the retaining screw. I can't for the life of me remember what brand they were, and a quick google doesn't turn them up. They wouldn't work for huge/heavy stuff, but for the stuff I was doing, that fit in the palm of my hand, they were an awesome time saver. I'll report back if I can find them.
    Maybe this one?

CNC Precision Machining, Northwest Tool Co Inc Jaws

Kevin

6. Likes itsmeBernie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bsg View Post

Not that specific one, as the pivot for the sine bar was located in a different spot, but same idea, different execution, thanks for posting, I've been wanting to get a set to keep in my own tool box, because I don't like borrowing tools when I don't need to.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spoke with Kurt about the 'sine' aspect of this, apparently it is built in currently. I'm not sure what that actually entails however. I am curious to find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You may want to look at the offerings by Suburban Tool. They have a system where the hole spacing on their various tools will easily mate up with the others. They call it SineSet:

THE SineSet SYSTEM OF BOLT-TOGETHER TOOLS by Suburban Tool, Inc.

All the usual disclaimers apply; I just saw their videos.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ouch, $375 USD. I’ll stick with a vice in a vice and some trig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzert View Post
    Ouch, $375 USD. I’ll stick with a vice in a vice and some trig.
    I agree but, if I was doing multiple parts I would likely make my own jaws.......

Kevin

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These look like a really smart design. I have Kurt 3 in 1 jaws for one vise, they're very useful but can only manage basic angles like 15, 30, 45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BHolcombe View Post
    These look like a really smart design. I have Kurt 3 in 1 jaws for one vise, they're very useful but can only manage basic angles like 15, 30, 45.
    I bought a set of the Kurt 3 in 1 jaws in 2013 thinking they would come in handy, I haven’t taken them out of the packaging! I mainly use soft jaws for most parts or like others use a sine vise clamped in another vise for one offs!

Kevin

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like I should have posted a wanted add when I was looking for those. They're very handy for small work, I used them to make a set of 45 degree hinges not long ago.