What's new
What's new

50 Taper faceplate - Is this an L taper mount?

I saw this on Ebay. Is the taper on the faceplate end the same as an L style mount?

View attachment 228394View attachment 228395View attachment 228396View attachment 228397

Surely seems to be. That would make the detachable adaptor more useful than just for a faceplate. L-series chuck, collet "loop" closers, etc should fit as well.

I'd grab that on the gamble, just for the PROBABLE ability to mount the many L-series bargains in nose-art going wanting out there.

For a Hardinge screw-type false spindle nose, flat back, I did exactly that. Step chuck closers are presently the "customer" for it. Too much "stacking" to want to run the heavy 2-Jaw on it - that gets a new D1-3 back.

I want to make one of those, but in D1-6! That is perfect for a Boring mill to giant swing lathe conversion!

Looks like L0 to me.

I want to make one of those, but in D1-6!

I have a couple I MUST make for D1-3 and D1-4. Different lathe for-sure, mill only "maybe".

With D1, it is "more better" to pull-in with short cap screws from the back into the threaded anchor holes where the now-removed camlock studs were meant to go.

Providing enough depth in an adaptor to utilise standard camlock studs wants about three times as much net stick-out/bearing overhang.

And then.. one has to make or buy the locking cams and their springs, and machine their mounting holes. Any given item of D1 nose-art becomes "almost" dedicated when back-bolted instead, but acquiring an extra one or two "goodies" for other "conventional" D1 use should beat the avoidable PITA and expense of "full" D1 compatibility in an adaptor.

Or so at least one lazy old sod is betting. Haven't had the "round tuit" chit show up in the postbox just yet.

Safe bet. For-sure others have done this back-bolting 'stead of studs arredy. I just don't recall seeing fotos on PM.

:)

2CW

I have a couple I MUST make for D1-3 and D1-4. Different lathe for-sure, mill only "maybe".

With D1, it is "more better" to pull-in with short cap screws from the back into the threaded anchor holes where the now-removed camlock studs were meant to go.

Providing enough depth in an adaptor to utilise standard camlock studs wants about three times as much net stick-out/bearing overhang.

And then.. one has to make or buy the locking cams and their springs, and machine their mounting holes. Any given item of D1 nose-art becomes "almost" dedicated when back-bolted instead, but acquiring an extra one or two "goodies" for other "conventional" D1 use should beat the avoidable PITA and expense of "full" D1 compatibility in an adaptor.

Or so at least one lazy old sod is betting. Haven't had the "round tuit" chit show up in the postbox just yet.

Safe bet. For-sure others have done this back-bolting 'stead of studs arredy. I just don't recall seeing fotos on PM.

2CW

Try looking at early model Emco Maximat 11 lathes. The chucks mount via threaded studs onto the spindle nose. I forget the designation - A1? B1? There's definitely a DIN standard for it.

My Maximat 11 has the same spindle nose taper, diameter etc as D1-3 but no cams. Frankly it's a PITA and I'd rather a D1 spindle nose. So must have a lot of other people because the following variant went to D1-4.

PDW

Try looking at early model Emco Maximat 11 lathes. The chucks mount via threaded studs onto the spindle nose. I forget the designation - A1? B1? There's definitely a DIN standard for it.

My Maximat 11 has the same spindle nose taper, diameter etc as D1-3 but no cams. Frankly it's a PITA and I'd rather a D1 spindle nose. So must have a lot of other people because the following variant went to D1-4.

Thanks, Pete,

Already familiar with it "A" and variants. The face bolt / ELSE conical pinch never BOTH Cazeneuve dual-use proprietary nose is another of similar persuasion.

Primary disadvantage comes with goods such as chucks with large-diameter scroll plates in the midriff. Direct in -line face bolting is challenging, most of the realistic size matchups need an intermediate adaptor to at least get a bolt-circle out beyond the space the scroll plate blocks. Swap-out may then become a two-stage process to get AT the bolts in the spindle. Not optimal. L-series or Hardinge taper are faster. Faster than D1 as well, most stud and camlock counts, three only the minimum.

My need actually IS Cazeneuve-driven easily as much as mills. Rather puny 40-taper here, dare not get greedy. A 50-taper is waaaay heavier and stronger. OP is in tall clover good fortune there.

I'd like to be able to "port" a seriously extensive and already paid-for arsenal of D1-3 goods to the HBX-360-BC. Fabbing a Cazeneuve mounting plate is challenging, and the factory warned against DIY vs their specialized equipment. or maybe it has been Ladner.fr all along, as contractor TO Cazeneuve? Only two other firms seem to have ever sold those backplates.

The challange lies in the shallowness of the ID taper. Less than 2 degrees. It takes VERY little error for the drawn-tight into interference zone position to no longer come into near-as-dammit simultaneous bearing on the flat ring.

Far pickier than the steeper taper of A2 or D1, and those are non-trivial to DIY already. Just blessed with more and cheaper mass-produced ones that side-step the need.

:(

This would turn a KT 2CH and/or a Cincinnati 2MI into a nice facing lathe, and I just happen to have each of these machines for sale in NE Philly:D

The 2MI even has a compound table if you wanted to turn shallow cones or chamfers in something of bigger diameter.

Nice find!

Thanks, Pete,

Already familiar with it "A" and variants. The face bolt / ELSE conical pinch never BOTH Cazeneuve dual-use proprietary nose is another of similar persuasion.

Primary disadvantage comes with goods such as chucks with large-diameter scroll plates in the midriff. Direct in -line face bolting is challenging, most of the realistic size matchups, need an intermediate adaptor to at least get a bolt-circle out beyond the space the scroll plate blocks.

My need actually IS Cazeneuve-driven easily as much as mills. Rather puny 40-taper here, dare not get greedy. A 50-taper is waaaay heavier and stronger. OP is in tall clover good fortune there.

I'd like to be able to "port" a seriously extensive and already paid-for arsenal of D1-3 goods to the HBX-360-BC. Fabbing a Cazeneuve mounting plate is challenging, and the factory warned against DIY vs their specialized equipment.

The challange lies in the shallowness of the ID taper. Less than 2 degrees. It takes VERY little error for the drawn-tight into interference zone position to no longer come into near-as-dammit simultaneous bearing on the flat ring.

Far pickier than the steeper taper of A or D1.

:(

Yeah well, exotica has its quirks.....

I'd like to be able to swap chucks et al between the Chipmaster (D1-3) and the Emco. In theory this shouldn't be all that hard. In practice one needs to make studs with 2 diameters, big end screws into the D1-3 backplate, small end through Emco spindle.

Too much like hard work, defeats the purpose of quick-change.

I have 3 mills (counting the Kearns O type HBM with DeVlieg Flash change adaptor) with 40 taper spindles. An adaptor to hold some of the D1-3 or Emco chucks would be useful on occasion I guess. I'd probably grab an adaptor if I ever saw one for sale, same as I grabbed a L-00 mount P-B collet chuck. One day I might need it (or someone else does and there's a good trade to be done).....

PDW

Yeah well, exotica has its quirks.....

I'd like to be able to swap chucks et al between the Chipmaster (D1-3) and the Emco. In theory this shouldn't be all that hard. In practice one needs to make studs with 2 diameters, big end screws into the D1-3 backplate, small end through Emco spindle.

Too much like hard work, defeats the purpose of quick-change.
Hard work, small gain. On which score, I rather suspect we both own exactly the same "side step the issue" opportunity.

The HBX-360-BC is # 5 MT, spindle and "special" capstan rack & pinion THROUGH BORE, tailstock alike.

I can aready make the case that a D1-(x) "mothership" on stout 5 MT tail, interchangeable tang OR drawbar (have those arredy) could work well-enough, most especially if the existing nose provided positive rotational locating and transmits driving force. The TS already has an OEM "anchor" for that, drilling, tapping torque control and such like.

Through-bore passive, not-rotating TS also has another tapered seat at the arse-end of the tube as could accommodate centered tension loads of a drawbar.

Not sure even my fevered mind has conjured-up a reason to mount D1 goods on the also # 5 MT AB5/S drill press. No drawbar, but with locking drift slot as well as release drift slot. Bugger must think it is a hor-bore stood on end?

Gimmee another week or two at whacking the septicaemia into oblivion, and the aged wetware might be up to the challenge, just for the sport of it!

:nutter:

Sounds like this might have been for a rotary table or CNC pallet if anything, 13 Colchesters and Logans were L0 spindles, possibly L1 on a heavy duty 13. I would not want to spin a 15" faceplate on a L00.

Back