KURT. made in China? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could it be, could it just possibly be that the jaws and parallels are made in the US and the BOX was made in China?

I am sure the Chinese factory that made that box is proud of it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    Could it be, could it just possibly be that the jaws and parallels are made in the US and the BOX was made in China?

I am sure the Chinese factory that made that box is proud of it.
    Close. Others have already remarked having other sets with jaws US made, parallels Chinese made. Boxes are nearly ALWAYS Chinese made, these days, but I doubt anyone much gives two s**ts about that item.

While we are beating this poor flayed hide of what was actually a straw horse..

Just how BADLY could a Chinese factory f**k up an ignorant parallel even if they tried?

"Tenths" DTI, six-jaw chuck, Coordinate Measuring System, etc.. yah. I hear yah.

But parallels? Their surface plates and gage block sets do work OK?

Might "wish" for Moore or Taft-Pierce and settle for more SETS, widths, waviness of Chinese ones as the more useful deal, actual work week, no?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    What's a good brand of Premium vise that Bubba should buy?
    "Bubba" would go red-faced bugf**k and pitch the f**ker through the wall even messing with a Gerardi modular or its several - mostly also European, but not-only - competitors.

There's a bleedin' TRAINING how-to on You-Tube, factory published, and they are so "flexible" one run through it only scratches the surface.

Kurt?

Most Kurt vises are obvious as a sledge-hammer, dumb as a box of rocks, have a handle, you don't really need a lot of training to grok how it works from that point onward.

Folks DO still sell the hell out of some right IGNORANT hammers, too, so "simplicity" might not be a bad way to earn a crust.

The "modulars" are generally aimed at reducing the need for costly "bespoke" tooling, or at least PART of it, so yeah - they sure as God made little green apples DO have their niche, too, and can easily save a high-volume CNC toolup project their price.

Any Pilgrim as can plan and execute a "tombstone" build-up and not break more tooling than production throughput improvement records surely ain't no "Bubba".

Shorter answer? If your machine can't mount pallet nor tombstone, or run lights-out, the vise(s) should "probably" resemble a Kurt, Orange or Chick, and "doubles" at most, regardless of who makes them. The Gerardis' are not my only "ABK" (Anything BUT Kurt, if only by accident) vises.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sad, so sad....

The catalog page states clearly that these are imports. The website does not, altho this statement surely would make one suspect it:

"Genuine Kurt Groove Lock workstops are included."

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    Sad, so sad....

The catalog page states clearly that these are imports. The website does not, altho this statement surely would make one suspect it:

"Genuine Kurt Groove Lock workstops are included."
    Thank you for checking for facts while the rest of us basically f****d around to no avail!

Me culpa.

I even already had their catalog on HDD, and all I looked at this go was the @%^& website!

Knee-jerks and hip-shooters! God must have loved 'em, 'coz she made so many OF them,. etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update,,, Spoke with Steve Kane at Kurt yesterday. He went out of his way to apologize. The website was changed yesterday to reflect that the set is imported. I also had a issue with one of my Kurt vises that he is now taking care of. He also told me that the entire kit including the set of jaws in the kit is imported. However he did state that the entire set is ground to Kurt's specifications. Sure,,, I was pissed and probably jumped the gun. The issue I was having with the one of my Kurt vise was irritating me on Friday when I posted and the made in China sticker on the parallel set box sent me over the edge. Steve said he could understand the frustration. Anyway Kurt is handling all of my issues with the products in question.

7. Likes Mcgyver, old_dave, MetalCarnage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you next change your name here, I suggest Bob Loblaw.

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    "Bubba" would go red-faced bugf**k and pitch the f**ker through the wall even messing with a Gerardi modular or its several - mostly also European, but not-only - competitors.

There's a bleedin' TRAINING how-to on You-Tube, factory published, and they are so "flexible" one run through it only scratches the surface.

Kurt?

Most Kurt vises are obvious as a sledge-hammer, dumb as a box of rocks, have a handle, you don't really need a lot of training to grok how it works from that point onward.

Folks DO still sell the hell out of some right IGNORANT hammers, too, so "simplicity" might not be a bad way to earn a crust.

The "modulars" are generally aimed at reducing the need for costly "bespoke" tooling, or at least PART of it, so yeah - they sure as God made little green apples DO have their niche, too, and can easily save a high-volume CNC toolup project their price.

Any Pilgrim as can plan and execute a "tombstone" build-up and not break more tooling than production throughput improvement records surely ain't no "Bubba".

Shorter answer? If your machine can't mount pallet nor tombstone, or run lights-out, the vise(s) should "probably" resemble a Kurt, Orange or Chick, and "doubles" at most, regardless of who makes them. The Gerardis' are not my only "ABK" (Anything BUT Kurt, if only by accident) vises.

9. Likes morsetaper2 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The link in post #12 indicates very clear that the set is imported. For the price, even if isn't specified, what would your expect?

And here we are again insulting China. Sorry, but China didn't put this set in Kurt's catalog. Kurt did it. China is just providing the low cost product that we (Americans) are asking for.

In another side, if it's constructive for somebody, Gerardi has also magnetic parallels. The magnets are in the parallel, instead the jaw. They work extremely well.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by riabma77 View Post
    And here we are again insulting China. Sorry, but China didn't put this set in Kurt's catalog. Kurt did it. China is just providing the low cost product that we (Americans) are asking for.
    The problem isn't China. Some stuff simply would not be possible to bring to market at a price anyone would buy were it not for leveraging China's unlimited pool of hungry hustlers who are looking to pull themselves up from the bootstraps the same way this country did for 50 years.

The problem is when American companies tout their rha rha American-ness, but then go buy Chinese stuff on the DL and slip it into their catalog.

Having said that, I'm predisposed to not be a big fan of Kurt due to their ripping off other people's good ideas without attribution or partnership. Kurt has plenty of money and lawyers to draw up nice licensing deals and do stuff above board. They could even be smart about it and leverage the cottage industry of small, innovative workholding creators out there and couple it with their manufacturing/distribution/marketing assets to really help bring cool stuff to market without screwing people over. Alas, they choose to do business the scummy way.

That's why I don't do business with them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    The problem isn't China. Some stuff simply would not be possible to bring to market at a price anyone would buy were it not for leveraging China's unlimited pool of hungry hustlers who are looking to pull themselves up from the bootstraps the same way this country did for 50 years.

The problem is when American companies tout their rha rha American-ness, but then go buy Chinese stuff on the DL and slip it into their catalog.

Having said that, I'm predisposed to not be a big fan of Kurt due to their ripping off other people's good ideas without attribution or partnership. Kurt has plenty of money and lawyers to draw up nice licensing deals and do stuff above board. They could even be smart about it and leverage the cottage industry of small, innovative workholding creators out there and couple it with their manufacturing/distribution/marketing assets to really help bring cool stuff to market without screwing people over. Alas, they choose to do business the scummy way.

That's why I don't do business with them.
    I agree with you. I think we only see the low cost of the product they export, and processes they use to achieve it. But I always believed that they're very capable people to produce high quality product (only for them). IMHO.

But this is just politics and no related to the thread.

I never used a Kurt vise. For some reason, they never seemed attractive to me. I've always had good results with Gerardi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba73 View Post
    Update,,, Spoke with Steve Kane at Kurt yesterday. He went out of his way to apologize. The website was changed yesterday to reflect that the set is imported. I also had a issue with one of my Kurt vises that he is now taking care of. He also told me that the entire kit including the set of jaws in the kit is imported. However he did state that the entire set is ground to Kurt's specifications. Sure,,, I was pissed and probably jumped the gun. The issue I was having with the one of my Kurt vise was irritating me on Friday when I posted and the made in China sticker on the parallel set box sent me over the edge. Steve said he could understand the frustration. Anyway Kurt is handling all of my issues with the products in question.
    In the age of the internet, people need to practice Abe Lincoln's philosophy even more: write a scathing letter when angry, but always let it sit overnight, and usually it's thrown away (or substantially modified) the next day--feeling better for having written it, but not sent. It's really off-base to rant about a company on a public forum (with a misleading thread title no less), without investigating or giving them a chance to correct/explain the issue.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba73 View Post
    Thank you!