What's new
What's new

Kurt Power Drawbar?

RonRock

Aluminum
I recently bought a Kurt Power Drawbar off Ebay. It was sold as parts not working. But looked like it was pretty complete so I made an offer and now it is my problem. Not really a problem, I feel like I got a very good deal on a very nice power Drawbar that will eventually go onto my worn out Bridgeport. Ha! The BPort has a 7" riser and that puts the drawbar way too high for my short body to reach, so I'm anxious to get this thing installed.

So as it worked out the "parts" were mostly there as I thought from the Ebay add. As luck would have it I had an old CP 720 that I have kept around for parts. I was able to pull the parts from it to get the Kurt unit assembled. Cool!

But the unit came without any of the switching assembly. I have the Kurt manual that came with the parts and it shows a 2 button setup with a valve body that I assume is custom made for Kurt. But the Kurt website shows a newer switching setup with a single "toggle" switch.

Is that switch something that can be bought from another source? I love the Kurt products, but for my homeshop use the cost is not easily justified. I need a cheap way to make this work.

So any advice on how to make the pneumatic work with this Kurt Drawbar? I'd like to figure out the "new" style switch budget friendly.

Not to rain on your parade, but power drawbars were the most maintenance intensive items in my shop. Wish I had never installed one.

Not to rain on your parade, but power drawbars were the most maintenance intensive items in my shop. Wish I had never installed one.

I suppose it depends on your shop and as mine is a "one man" shop using manual machines which sounds like what the OP might have. My time savings on using a power draw bar on my mill is roughly 20-30% on any given job (I don't have quick change tooling and some jobs require of lot of tool changes and recalibrating). Plus it saves my back reaching for the top of the mill.

FWIW

-Ron

I have 2 Bridgeports with Kurt drawbars. Over 10 years of use, not one problem, ever. I paid for one of them on the first job I ran with it. I have worked at a race car shop since 1994 that has a Kurt on a Champ knee mill It has never needed anything, used every day. I'll never have a knee mill without a Kurt draw bar and Servo power feeds on all 3 axis.

I suppose it depends on your shop and as mine is a "one man" shop using manual machines which sounds like what the OP might have. My time savings on using a power draw bar on my mill is roughly 20-30% on any given job (I don't have quick change tooling and some jobs require of lot of tool changes and recalibrating). Plus it saves my back reaching for the top of the mill.

FWIW

-Ron

It's because "indiananmoon" is only here to sell crap machinery.

And the current Bridgeport he has up for sale, don't have a Kurt power drawbar on it.....

I don’t recall the last time I saw a knee mill in a shop without a power draw bar, quicker tool changes and eliminates the need for a stool :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not familiar with the internal parts of a power drawbar or if they are problematic. Air has to be clean and dry and the tool oiled. It can be expensive for a good dryer depending on volume used. Volume isn't an issue for a drawbar.
Power drawbar sounds convenient to me

Air actuated devices have to be well maintained..

Have thought about why there aren't electric models. Had debated on making on out of an electric impact. As someone who doesn't use their air compressor often, would hate to have to turn it on just to run power drawbar

The green bear folks have an electric draw bar, could by two pneumatic ones for the price ,$1175

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used a Kurt drawbar for a while on my mill. It was a 3 button control. There was a separate red button on the side that moved the butterfly wrench up and down to engage with the drawbar, and the in and out buttons.

And to enter the drawbar fray, power drawbars suck. They just suck much less than using a wrench. And the worst part, even with the world's best drawbar, is the other end of the drawbar still has a crappy R8.

Put an Erickson QC30 spindle in the machine and have something worthwhile.

Well there has been some conversation, but can someone tell me about the new style Kurt valve? it looks like a toggle switch on the end of the actual valve body. Nice and compact. I haven't had any luck in my Google searches with this type pneumatic valve.

I'm not familiar with the internal parts of a power drawbar or if they are problematic. Air has to be clean and dry and the tool oiled. It can be expensive for a good dryer depending on volume used. Volume isn't an issue for a drawbar.
Power drawbar sounds convenient to me

Air actuated devices have to be well maintained..

I put a little air tool oil in the oiler once a year or so, that's it for maintenance.

Well there has been some conversation, but can someone tell me about the new style Kurt valve? it looks like a toggle switch on the end of the actual valve body. Nice and compact. I haven't had any luck in my Google searches with this type pneumatic valve.

"Clipper" has something similar

I realize this is an older thread but I was trying to find the same valve.

I believe they are using an air ride toggle switch. They have a return to neutral as well. I would really like to see one of the Kurt's switches in person but have not seen one.

Back