What's new
What's new

Kurt rebuild kit for yuasa vise?

leeko

Stainless
Hi all,

Does anyone know if a Kurt d60 rebuild kit is compatible with an older yuasa 6" vise? They look near identical.

I took my yuasa apart today, and found no thrust bearing/washer in there. There was also a fair bit of scoring on the hemispherical piece. But, I forgot to take measurements before I left the shop today :(

Thanks,
lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Does anyone know if a Kurt d60 rebuild kit is compatible with an older yuasa 6" vise? They look near identical.

I took my yuasa apart today, and found no thrust bearing/washer in there. There was also a fair bit of scoring on the hemispherical piece. But, I forgot to take measurements before I left the shop today :(

Thanks,
lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I could measure my Yuasa rotab or 6" 4-Jaw chuck, but don't have one of their vises.

:)

What I'd expect is the Yuasa to be Metric on all the washer/bearing innards of that sort, the Kurt to be US/Imperial,

So "close" off the back of similar approach to what size stuff has to be to manage the same stresses, probably. Identical? Only maybe.

I could be wrong, etc. but it is wrong-for-free.

A wait 'til Monday to measure it rather than order a kit first might mean you won't have to be wrong ALSO and for-fee-NOT-for-free?

I could measure my Yuasa rotab or 6" 4-Jaw chuck, but don't have one of their vises.

What I'd expect is the Yuasa to be Metric on all the washer/bearing innards of that sort, the Kurt to be US/Imperial,

So "close" off the back of similar approach to what size stuff has to be to manage the same stresses, probably. Identical? Only maybe.

I could be wrong, etc. but it is wrong-for-free.

A wait 'til Monday to measure it rather than order a kit first might mean you won't have to be wrong ALSO and for-fee-NOT-for-free?

Well, that was helpful. Hahaha!! Bill, put the mouse down slowly...and walk away from the keyboard..

Don’t buy the rebuild kit. Get a thrust bearing based on MEASURING the spot to goes. Made in USA thrust needle bearings and washers, even at full retail from MSC, are the best bargain going. Buy the other parts as needed from Kurt, their jaws fit my Yuasa, but your results may vary.

Well, that was helpful. Hahaha!! Bill, put the mouse down slowly...and walk away from the keyboard..

Don’t buy the rebuild kit. Get a thrust bearing based on MEASURING the spot to goes. Made in USA thrust needle bearings and washers, even at full retail from MSC, are the best bargain going. Buy the other parts as needed from Kurt, their jaws fit my Yuasa, but your results may vary.

Well THAT was even more helpful. Even if lee still has to wait 'til he's back at the shop to measure stuff..

Gotta keep in mind that USUALLY we get the reverse.

Such cheapskates as ask if they can repair a KURT with parts salvaged off a bustid no-name (not EVEN a Yuasa/News) vise found in a dumpster ....instead of spending a buck-three-fifty to keep the Kurt at its best.

:D

That implies Yuasa is inferior to Kurt. I’m inclined to think not. They did steal the design, and not just of the vise, but their brand byword, “the pillar of quality” is no joke.

That implies Yuasa is inferior to Kurt. I’m inclined to think not. They did steal the design, and not just of the vise, but their brand byword, “the pillar of quality” is no joke.

I have an older rotab that has only their original Japanese name on it. Decent, but surely no P&W or Moore.

The 6" Yuasa 4-Jaw chuck, build-date unknown as it was bought off remaindered "NOS", is my favourite for hard work. The jaws and screws are MUCH stouter than my next-best - a pair of Swedish-made "SCA" that are more finely finished "everywhere", but not built to exert as much grip.

Most of what Yuasa did later was in power chucks for CNC spindles. Very tough players in that bizness, not a lot of mercy for marginal goods from any of them.

Kurt? Meahh.. good enough, but...

I'll stick with the Gerardi modulars, a Quad-I for uber-crunch, and the Morton for weirdness-grabber. If only because they are all paid for!

Not QUITE as dumb as I look... yet.

Mind, one DOES have to be selective as to which posters to cover the bathroom mirrors with, goal being to reduce the risk of heart attacks..

Back