What's new
What's new

Kurt vise jaws dx6

KARENDAV

Plastic
We bought a kurt vise, the dx6 but it opens 9" and we need to hold a 9 3/4" piece, is it possible to move the jaw to the outer thread to make it wider?KURT JAWS.jpg

Make a pair of stepped jaws. 9" opening with standard 3/4" jaws means 10-1/2" opening with no jaws, so a pair of 3/4" jaws with a 3/8" step will take a 9-3/4" workpiece.

Regards.

Mike

Last edited:
From what I gather, it's 9.08 with the jaws. Just remove the hard jaws and run without. They're each almost 3/4" thick. That or make some thinner protective jaws.

I would make stepped jaws, but if you must flip one of the jaws flip the stationary jaw. Keeps the moving jaw on the front of the carrier and the anti lift works best in this configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know, but nowhere in the official kurt manual is that instruction, we´re newbies, didn´t want to screw up the vise

i know, but nowhere in the official kurt manual is that instruction, we´re newbies, didn´t want to screw up the vise

Valid concerns. Note that if you mount one or both jaws outboard, and use the as-provided bolts, and reef down on the vise handle pretty good, you can blow out the threads. Use longer 1/2"-13 bolts to give more thread engagement.

Regards.

Mike

I'm kind of LoL'ing at the newb question,,, didn't you think to at least try before you posted? I could see if it was a major overhaul, but it is literally 2 bolts... :nutter:

Short answer, yes. Long answer, multiple ways to tackle this, move front jaw, move back jaw, soft jaws, etc etc....

I'm kind of LoL'ing at the newb question,,, didn't you think to at least try before you posted? I could see if it was a major overhaul, but it is literally 2 bolts... :nutter:

Short answer, yes. Long answer, multiple ways to tackle this, move front jaw, move back jaw, soft jaws, etc etc....

If they're total newbs, they probably don't have a lot of money to blow on machining... And they're sitting on $3K worth of Kurt... so I get being cautious... you don't know what you don't know... Y'know?

It is clearly shown on their website. BB = 12.117"

dx620assy20cat20pg1.jpg

Kurt (R) CrossOver(R) Vise - DX6 | Kurt Workholding

Valid concerns. Note that if you mount one or both jaws outboard, and use the as-provided bolts, and reef down on the vise handle pretty good, you can blow out the threads. Use longer 1/2"-13 bolts to give more thread engagement.

Regards.

Mike

In this arrangement you can also tear out the bolt holes if you're using AL jaws. Best to use a HCS and generous washer instead of the SHCS.

Huh?
(more words here)
If you have a thin soft jaw and your tighten the vise too much with the jaws in the outboard position it's possible for the socket head cap screws to pull through the jaws. You can prevent this by using a normal bolt and large washer.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Back