What's new
What's new

Are Kurt vises still made in the USA?

AFAIK all the vises are made in the US. The add-ons and accessories like parallels and jaws are probably imported.

Thanks guys. Ya I saw that other post but it didn't talk about vises.

Begs the question tho. If it has "Made in the USA" cast into the base could it just be assembled in the US? With parts made offshore.

Not trying to start a big debate, just genuinely curious.

I don't know either way, but I don't see how the casting is a metric for verifying it is really USA made? China (from what I have seen) could care less about patents and trademarks, why wouldn't they just cast "USA made" in the base and call it a day? :scratchchin:

I don't know either way, but I don't see how the casting is a metric for verifying it is really USA made? China (from what I have seen) could care less about patents and trademarks, why wouldn't they just cast "USA made" in the base and call it a day? :scratchchin:
If you follow that logic to its ultimate end, what has ever truly been made in one place even if it is as large as a continent?

This is the part where I pick a new topic to think about before the grim reality of meaninglessness set in....but, I digress.

I think there's a law about that, regarding specifics of marking items with "Made in U.S.A." but it's not like China has a great track record of following our laws. I believe there was quite a kerfluffle some time ago when imports were caught doing that.

If you follow that logic to its ultimate end, what has ever truly been made in one place even if it is as large as a continent?

This is the part where I pick a new topic to think about before the grim reality of meaninglessness set in....but, I digress.

Yes, I know you could go down the rabbit hole and say "these bolts are Taiwan, and the steel is Indian", etc. My point was just marking something USA made, or made in Germany does not "prove" it was made there...

...Begs the question tho. If it has "Made in the USA" cast into the base could it just be assembled in the US? With parts made offshore.
"Made is the USA" is what the FTC calls an "unqualified" statement of origin. That means "all or virtually all" of the product is made in the US.

That doesn't mean a product can't be counterfeited- but if you are buying from Kurt, it's not gonna be a Chinese knockoff...

I looked into that same DX4R vise and I was questioning the made in USA also,,, I found a couple places were Kurt was stating they were made in the US.

my local suppler quoted me $504 each on them ,, I have not seen the DX4R in person but I have seen the DX6R and there sweet..

just like made in Switzerland or made in Germany, many items have some parts and materials possibly made in other countries
metal comes from almost all countries. some alloys like nickel, chrome, tungsten, molybdenum, rare earth elements, etc often come from outside the USA. pollution control laws even on electroplated items like chrome plating made it difficult to do in the USA
gone are the days somebody welded a few 55 gallon steel barrels together to make a cupola to melt iron without any pollution control equipment to scrub the exhaust of acid rain producing particles.

I looked into that same DX4R vise and I was questioning the made in USA also,,, I found a couple places were Kurt was stating they were made in the US.

my local suppler quoted me $504 each on them ,, I have not seen the DX4R in person but I have seen the DX6R and there sweet..

Wish I had gone with those from the beginning.

Wish I had gone with those from the beginning.
What attracts you to the reversed jaws? To me, it would be awkward to have to pull the part towards me when I'm tightening the vise.

I have D60's on one mill, D688's on another, and DX6's on the newest one. All of them work just fine- I do like the DX6's because the chips blow out easiest of the 3 versions.

But I would never trust the cheesy workstop to stay put...

Last ones we bought , the handles didn't pivot very well. Brought it to their attention, they admitted handles were made in China (not sure about the machining on handles, but castings made in China). They replaced them with without question.

What attracts you to the reversed jaws? ...
I typically program and think out my mill parts with the bottom left corner as the part zero, so having this be the fixed jaw would be a slight convenience to me. On my Bridgeport I still prefer the solid jaw to be closest to the mill's column so that I can tuck the ram in tightly and increase rigidity.

if they had the castings made in china but did the finishing and assembly here, made in usa is probably ligit because the majority of the work that makes it their product is us. so maybe the casting cost 10 bucks but there is another 100 bucks in usa cost in it, then the claim is legit. the casting having made in usa cast into it is also legit because that is refereeing to the finished assembly and not the casting and since the casting is not intended to be sold to an end user alone, only as an assembly. You can get into gray areas quickly which is why mfgs cover themselves with assembled in the us from foreign and domestic components.

Back