Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

why not go with orange? 100% us made, better features, higher quality and i believe even cheaper than comparable kurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    why not go with orange? 100% us made, better features, higher quality and i believe even cheaper than comparable kurt.
    A basic no-frills 6" Orange is $1200 (MSRP via Orange'e website), I can get a pair of DX6's for $1100 with delivery (via All Industrial tool sales).

Those aren't apples/apples numbers since one is factory MSRP and the other is from a vendor, but I don't know of another place to buy the Orange's and I highly doubt they'd be half price.

I wish they were closer in price, I'd rather have Orange and would happily pay some premium to do so but not 100% more. I'd REALLY like to have a pair of Orange doubles and a single, but that's $5200 in vises. For a just getting his feet wet, the economics do not work in Orange's favor.

EDIT- Have since found the basic 6" Orange at Maritool for $999.
    Last edited by Cole2534; 01-28-2020 at 12:24 PM. Reason: EDIT- Found lower price for Orange, from Maritool

3. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    A basic no-frills 6" Orange is $1200 (MSRP via Orange'e website), I can get a pair of DX6's for $1100 with delivery (via All Industrial tool sales).

Those aren't apples/apples numbers since one is factory MSRP and the other is from a vendor, but I don't know of another place to buy the Orange's and I highly doubt they'd be half price.

I wish they were closer in price, I'd rather have Orange and would happily pay some premium to do so but not 100% more. I'd REALLY like to have a pair of Orange doubles and a single, but that's $5200 in vises. For a just getting his feet wet, the economics do not work in Orange's favor.
    hmm, i guess things really changed since i last quoted kurt stuff. i know we bought a 420D 5 axis vise from them last year, was same price as 5th axis and raptor offerings (~1k)

i could have sworn i saw them offering a cheaper intro level vise for around 800 not too long ago, but cant find it anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hmm, i guess things really changed since i last quoted kurt stuff. i know we bought a 420D 5 axis vise from them last year, was same price as 5th axis and raptor offerings (~1k)
    Their 5 axis stuff is around that price.

Who did you quote through?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Their 5 axis stuff is around that price.

Who did you quote through?

western tool and msc

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

western tool and msc
    Thanks, I'll give them a shout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by surplusjohn View Post
    if they had the castings made in china but did the finishing and assembly here, made in usa is probably ligit because the majority of the work that makes it their product is us. so maybe the casting cost 10 bucks but there is another 100 bucks in usa cost in it, then the claim is legit. the casting having made in usa cast into it is also legit because that is refereeing to the finished assembly and not the casting and since the casting is not intended to be sold to an end user alone, only as an assembly. You can get into gray areas quickly which is why mfgs cover themselves with assembled in the us from foreign and domestic components.
    Not according to the link I posted in post #11. Here it is again: Complying with the Made in USA Standard | Federal Trade Commission
    A vise is like the pipe wrench or gold ring in the examples.
    excerpt from that link:

"How far back in the manufacturing process should manufacturers and marketers look?
    To determine the percentage of U.S. content, manufacturers and marketers should look back far enough in the manufacturing process to be reasonably sure that any significant foreign content has been included in their assessment of foreign costs. Foreign content incorporated early in the manufacturing process often will be less significant to consumers than content that is a direct part of the finished product or the parts or components produced by the immediate supplier.

Example: The steel used to make a single component of a complex product (for example, the steel used in the case of a computer’s floppy drive) is an early input into the computer’s manufacture, and is likely to constitute a very small portion of the final product’s total cost. On the other hand, the steel in a product like a pipe or a wrench is a direct and significant input. Whether the steel in a pipe or wrench is imported would be a significant factor in evaluating whether the finished product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S."

"Are raw materials included in the evaluation of whether a product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.?
    It depends on how much of the product’s cost the raw materials make up and how far removed from the finished product they are.

Example: If the gold in a gold ring is imported, an unqualified Made in USA claim for the ring is deceptive. That’s because of the significant value the gold is likely to represent relative to the finished product, and because the gold — an integral component — is only one step back from the finished article. By contrast, consider the plastic in the plastic case of a clock radio otherwise made in the U.S. of U.S.-made components. If the plastic case was made from imported petroleum, a Made in USA claim is likely to be appropriate because the petroleum is far enough removed from the finished product, and is an insignificant part of it as well."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just installed 3-brand new DX6's to one of our mills, for what's its worth the boxes the vises came in and the vise it self list Made in USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

someone asked a couple posts back about why buy reverse vises ,, in my case it has to do with reach ,, I well installing them on a Haas DM2 and I have a couple normal Kurt 6" vises in there and the reach gets old by the end of the day ,, I did a paper model of the DX4R and it looks like it well move the parts about 6 or 7 inches closer to the door.. that and by going to 4" vises I can fit 4 vises in the machine and they well still be large enough for the parts I run in it ... Also I build most of my smaller fixtures to just clamp in the vises and that moves the Z height up to were I need it for short tools ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a one man shop, but I have 10-12(or more??) Kurts...............675, 688, 3600, 4HDL, etc............................I just bought 4qty 22" double station Orange vises.................If I buy another single(or more doubles), it will Orange....................just sayin'...............Sol has 'er dialed in.....................

12. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sent a query via their website and was pleasantly surprised to get a reply the same day. Looks like that DX4 it is.

100% employee owned sure ups the "give a shit factor" too.

Hi Terry,

Yes the US is still the country of origin. Here is a video of our plant in Minneapolis, MN.: YouTube

Best Regards,
    Steve Kane
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    Kurt Industrial Products Division
    An Employee Owned Company
    9445 East River Road NW
    Minneapolis, MN 55433

Desk: 763.572.4631
    Cell: 612.408.1952
    Fax: 763.574.8313

14. Likes Larry Dickman, Yan Wo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice short video! Thanks for passing that along

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    Sent a query via their website and was pleasantly surprised to get a reply the same day. Looks like that DX4 it is.

100% employee owned sure ups the "give a shit factor" too.

Hi Terry,

Yes the US is still the country of origin. Here is a video of our plant in Minneapolis, MN.: YouTube

Best Regards,
    Steve Kane
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    Kurt Industrial Products Division
    An Employee Owned Company
    9445 East River Road NW
    Minneapolis, MN 55433

Desk: 763.572.4631
    Cell: 612.408.1952
    Fax: 763.574.8313
    Unless I missed it the Made in USA part of the vises isn't prominent on their website.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where are the castings from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Just a one man shop, but I have 10-12(or more??) Kurts...............675, 688, 3600, 4HDL, etc............................I just bought 4qty 22" double station Orange vises.................If I buy another single(or more doubles), it will Orange....................just sayin'...............Sol has 'er dialed in.....................
    Hey, if you wanna sell a Kurt or 2 let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw a picture of our friend's nephew as an infant. His little shirt said " made in USA, From Mexican parts" Yes his mom is hispanic.
    Bill D.

20. Likes Terry Keeley, mattthemuppet liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaks View Post
    Where are the castings from?
    As of a couple of years ago they were (still are as far as I know) made in the US. I had a conversation with a Kurt rep at Westec who was saying they had to change foundries as the one they had been using had closed. He indicated they had trouble finding a foundry who could meet their demand for castings.

22. Likes Jmaks liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Picked up my DX4 today from KBC Tools here in Mississauga, they were good enough to match a lower price from a competitor that would have to order it in.

Very nicely built, nothing about it says "quality import". I really like the 6.5" opening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry if you got the DX4R I could really use the dimension from the center of the mounting slot to the end of the casting by the handle ,, I have looked it up on line and found there drawing changes ... thanks

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    Terry if you got the DX4R I could really use the dimension from the center of the mounting slot to the end of the casting by the handle ,, I have looked it up on line and found there drawing changes ... thanks
    Looks like just a hair over 8", maybe 8 1/16?