What's new
What's new

Kysor Johnson model J bandsaw question - motor mount

Technical Ted

Cast Iron
I was given the subject machine. I would say probably made in the 60's. Weighs 800-900 lbs. Had to re-build the gearbox with new bearing and seals, but everything else seems to be in good order.

My question is about the motor mount. It looks like part of mine might be missing or has been changed. The motor is mounted on a hinged plate and the belt tension is only supplied by the weight of the motor swinging down on this hinge. There is no tensioning screw or other device to adjust tension. Is this correct? If not, can someone please post a picture of theirs please?

Thanks,
Ted
PXL_20210701_191510389.jpg

The old Johnson saw in our shop was the same way. I'm pretty sure that was the original design.

I was given the subject machine. I would say probably made in the 60's. Weighs 800-900 lbs. Had to re-build the gearbox with new bearing and seals, but everything else seems to be in good order.

My question is about the motor mount. It looks like part of mine might be missing or has been changed. The motor is mounted on a hinged plate and the belt tension is only supplied by the weight of the motor swinging down on this hinge. There is no tensioning screw or other device to adjust tension. Is this correct? If not, can someone please post a picture of theirs please?

Thanks,
Ted
View attachment 324580

That is how the motor is mounted on my saw...

Mine, too, but the motor jumps around a lot this way.

FWIW, a small machinery mount (threaded stud with softish foot) through an extension to the motor mounting plate and bearing on the side casting stabilizes the motor and sets belt tension. No need to back off belt tension to shift the belt to change speeds.

Mine's been a good saw. Changed the valving for the hydraulic downfeed (the linkage was too sloppy), added a calibrated needle valve for repeatability and hinged the outer part of the motor cover for quicker belt access. Other than that, it's stock.

It may be a horrible solution but on my Johnson model R, I just made a wood wedge and jammed it between the motor and the frame to give a little more tension. The motor on the saw was shot and the replacement that I used was not heavy enough to keep the belt from slipping. May be Mickey, but it works.

Back