What's new
What's new

L & S Powerturn 12" 4j chuck

donie

Diamond
Hgr had several Powerturn lathes listed, the non attached chucks were separated as they do and listed for sale.
The example here was first listed at $349, then 300, 249, finally $199. With truck shipping 122lbs it cost $325, a 12" Cushman direct mount steel chuck

BeURU5I.jpg

This is the worst one, of other chucks I have bought from hgr. It did take 6+ hours to clean it up.

UHN1qcb.jpg

The backside shows it is a solid steel chuck, intended for machines like the 20hp+ L&S Powerturn heavy duty lathes. There is minimum flex in this style of chuck.
I was informed by a local old timer that these were also called convertable chucks, the six cam lock pins can be removed, and the chuck will attach to an A type spindle nose, with 4 bolts. The drive pin hole can be seen.

ZK2gyOZ.jpg

I did have a model 1610 Powerturn lathe I used for over 20yrs, I sold it many years ago, and regret losing the identical Cushman chuck, but feel very lucky on this deal.
t5aSJy1.jpg

The jaws have an aggressive pattern, that I found grips castings well.

If some do observe the hgr sales, I just bought the 8" Buck 6jaw, a modern steel body model, with 2 piece jaws, for their reduced price of $159!
There has often been chucks for Monarch ee, and Hardinge, listed at hgr.

The T slots really help on holding castings, and other repair work.
This company lets many things go cheap, but overprices other items.

Back in the day I used them on production work - with various stop and step blocks etc etc meant only 2 jaws to hold parts repeatedly and more securely than a Yorkshireman's wallet

I can see how using stop blocks would work well for repeated work set ups. The T slots seem to be on 12" and up Cushman chucks, but not all of them have it.
The prices from hgr, are half or less of what the ebay, or dealers are asking. But, one must look often, the stock rotates quickly.

Back