What's new
What's new

L.T.C. ROLT (Tom)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRG

Plastic
Searching for "Charles Chuchill 1865-1965" on the internet led me to this site and I read with interest a number of entries. One of these entries from 2010 reads:
"There is a brief history of Charles Churchill in Tools For The Job by L.T.C. Rolt, which is not surprising because this book was written to mark the 100th anniversary of the founding of Charles Churchill & Company (1865-1965). The company originally planned to write something about their own history, but realised it would be of too limited interest, so decided on a history of machine tools and their inventors. What an excellent idea it was"
According to The Bibliography of Tom Rolt a 72 page illustrated document was produced by the company in Birmingham UK in 1965 entitled 'Charles Churchill 1865-1965'.
I have around 1,500 different items connected with the life and writings of Tom Rolt and this Charles Churchill publication has evaded my searches for more than 40 years.
Has any member an original copy to sell or that they would be willing to photocopy for me.
Thanks.
PRG

Purely for future reference, perhaps, as you are so well versed in such matters, you'd care to give us all an example of how the OP's title should have been framed.
"Book:'Tools For The Job by L.T.C. Rolt' looking to find"

Wow....all of fifteen seconds to compose

DUH !

Purely for future reference, perhaps, as you are so well versed in such matters, you'd care to give us all an example of how the OP's title should have been framed.

I can't even figure out what the OP's question is, let alone what the acronym title is all about.....:rolleyes5:

"Book:'Tools For The Job by L.T.C. Rolt' looking to find"

Wow....all of fifteen seconds to compose

DUH !

Should have taken the time to read and understand the contents of post #1 before wasting 15 seconds to compose a title that does not reflect his request.

Tools for the Job by Rolt is a book that is out of print, but not hard to find in used book dealers. That book mentions the actual item the OP has wanted for over 40 years.

The OP wants a copy of a rare promotional brochure, a 72 page history of the Charles Churchill Co. published in 1965 and probably dumped in the trash by most of their customers who got one free. Maybe a few survived among ancient Churchill retirees who actually valued theirs. But their heirs have dumped them by now.

I have read and enjoyed a number of Rolt's books.

Larry

Rolt was a wonderful writer. Trained as an engineer through hands-on apprenticeships in engine-building shops in England, he had the perfect background to write authoritatively on industrial subjects.

I have two copies of this book, but under different titles. They come up from time to time on Ebay for little money, and they are definitely worth reading.

Tools for the Job, published by Batsford in England was published in the USA by MIT Press as A Short History of Machine Tools. It's the same text.

If you want to reminisce on life near the Welsh border about 100 years ago, go read the first volume of his biography: Landscape with Machines. Really beautiful story.

Should have taken the time to read and understand the contents of post #1 before wasting 15 seconds to compose a title that does not reflect his request.

Tools for the Job by Rolt is a book that is out of print, but not hard to find in used book dealers. That book mentions the actual item the OP has wanted for over 40 years.

The OP wants a copy of a rare promotional brochure, a 72 page history of the Charles Churchill Co. published in 1965 and probably dumped in the trash by most of their customers who got one free. Maybe a few survived among ancient Churchill retirees who actually valued theirs. But their heirs have dumped them by now.

I have read and enjoyed a number of Rolt's books.

Larry

I did Larry.
But the rules around here clearly state that the title reflect the contents therein.

Period. end of sentence.

You don't seem to have a problem composing a proper title on YOUR posts.

Rolt was a wonderful writer. Trained as an engineer through hands-on apprenticeships in engine-building shops in England, he had the perfect background to write authoritatively on industrial subjects.

I have two copies of this book, but under different titles. They come up from time to time on Ebay for little money, and they are definitely worth reading.

Tools for the Job, published by Batsford in England was published in the USA by MIT Press as A Short History of Machine Tools. It's the same text.

If you want to reminisce on life near the Welsh border about 100 years ago, go read the first volume of his biography: Landscape with Machines. Really beautiful story.

Thank you very much for this. I have a copy of Rolt's A Short History of Machine Tools and from time to time I've thought about trying to get a copy of Tools for the Job. Now I don't need to.

David

Churchill has come come under a lot of attack lately, but I still believe he was the UK's best leader of all time. I actually have downloaded his book and will start on it as soon as I get to the part in my current book where Lance Armstrong walks on the moon for the first time.

Churchill has come come under a lot of attack lately, but I still believe he was the UK's best leader of all time. I actually have downloaded his book and will start on it as soon as I get to the part in my current book where Lance Armstrong walks on the moon for the first time.

You do realise the OP was referring to a completely different Churchill family ??? ;)

On edit I think you do , I've just twigged the Lance Armstrong gag - well done :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back