What's new
What's new

lack of professional machinist in sub forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

donie

Diamond
I have seen over the years less working professionals in the sub forums to the point now its only hobbyist, and this hobby bunch has this image of a Ward Cleaver type as in their mind what a machinist should look or sound like! That I find funny!
I do not have a problem with hobbyist, but not on the same plane whatsoever. I think professionals intimidate the hobby crowd, because they know cant make a dime at it. Some professionals that still hang around, nave not done anything for so long, failed to rotate, then went stagnate.
It is not that hard to post photos if you are not a troll, myself I love machine work, and will never run out a content to share, I live it every day. But, I will not tolerate the forum troll.

I have seen over the years less working professionals in the sub forums to the point now its only hobbyist, and this hobby bunch has this image of a Ward Cleaver type as in their mind what a machinist should look or sound like! That I find funny!
I do not have a problem with hobbyist, but not on the same plane whatsoever. I think professionals intimidate the hobby crowd, because they know cant make a dime at it. Some professionals that still hang around, nave not done anything for so long, failed to rotate, then went stagnate.
It is not that hard to post photos if you are not a troll, myself I love machine work, and will never run out a content to share, I live it every day. But, I will not tolerate the forum troll.

The edm sub has professional guys usually...even the mod is an edm guy.

Sub forums with manual machines is normal that its only hobbyist
Proffesionals use CNC machines in general
Some old timers hang on there perhaps but it is true that the majority of the work done on manual machines is done by hobbyist
Some dammed good work sometimes though Retired oldtimers are hobbyist too

BTW I like the forum troll You have to have one around If it was only to learn to controle once temper.
Learn

Peter

I disagree, I’ve made a living doing repair work for companies, using manual machines.

The side jobs were a mixed bag of CNC production and job shop…

There are still many jobs involving the use of machine tools, but on some of the sub forums there are folks that could never hold a machinist job.
I am getting old, but I can still make a buck on a Monarch ee, but that forum here lost all the professionals, they dont like me because I am not pussyfied, and I say fuck all the time, and I dont fucking look like Ward Cleaver, wear a bow tie, and I have no tolerance for the forum troll.
The CNC shops can make millions of parts, but cant fix anything, can not make a hydraulic cylinder from scratch!

I disagree, I’ve made a living doing repair work for companies, using manual machines.

The side jobs were a mixed bag of CNC production and job shop…

I have always had manual machines as support equipment, I couldn't live without them. A lot of them have become dirt cheap, many can be acquired for a song and a dance.

Over here Repairshops have CNC machines Along with some manual machines yes But their main machines are CNC (and I sell manual machines for a living you know)
And over here (and in the US probbably also)repairshops can fix almost anything Pick the right shop though

Donie Can you run CNC machines???
And please stop your tirade against our forum troll
You loose respect of many for that

Peter

Profesionals use CNC machines in general

I would say that the word "use" means that they press buttons. The places I have visited have the
manual machine(s) for small dedicated tasks or they just sit there cleaned up waiting ...

I make money being a repair guy, I dont care what anyone thinks about me, and never have, I make bank without faking being nice. No CNC, Harley Davidson factory certified tech, and pro Monarch 10ee lathe driver.
The forum troll has acted outside of this forum, has made death threats, and I will continue to shit down his neck at every opportunity. Best to be aware of who you decide to fuck with.

I have no idea what your poorly composed post means, donie, but all I ever come out of you are hate-filled, baseless diatribes against Thermite. Your profession seems to be making a pain in the ass out of yourself.

Believe me donie, the Monarch forum needs & misses your knowledge & help.
Don’t leave us mosquitos out to die. Well, not all of us… :D.

My all-manual machining is profitable and really rescues us at my day job. It is, similar to the comments above, 90% repair work. But the remaining 10% engineering/prototyping has been invaluable to us also.

Just made some test models of a funky lifting device for the day job, and it has been rewarding. Drawing it out only gets me so far.

Most rewarding is the immediate repairs possible. Having my own machine shop 2 miles away allows me to put our benders, shears, forklifts, trucks, etc, back in use within hours instead of days. And many times that is a lifesaver for the customers. And the owner is EXTREMELY appreciative. I just send a separate invoice for the hours, while still on the company clock as well.

I do feel very amateur that I don’t have/know CNC, though.

I have no idea what your poorly composed post means, donie, but all I ever come out of you are hate-filled, baseless diatribes against Thermite. Your profession seems to be making a pain in the ass out of yourself.

Baseless?
Termite pollutes every topic he posts in with his whist-full, homespun, pointless and unwelcome comments.
I'd be happy to donate to a Go-Fund-Me to hire a professional pest exterminator and have him 'taken care of".

Proffesionals use CNC machines in general
Some old timers hang on there perhaps but it is true that the majority of the work done on manual machines is done by hobbyist
Some dammed good work sometimes though Retired oldtimers are hobbyist too

BTW I like the forum troll You have to have one around If it was only to learn to controle once temper.
Learn

Peter

Wow after 40+ years as a machinist and job shop owner I finally learned I am not a machinist!! I understand I am a a......... But most of my customers, & suppliers have called me a machinist and my shop a machine shop.
The following is for the younger person starting, so they won't get discouraged if you will serve your apprenticeship/learn the trade in the production/manufacturing environment then move up to a large repair manual shop after another apprenticeship their you will be in the top 5% of wage earners.
My floor sweeper is getting 20.00 hr usually after a few months of showing aptitude they will move up and learn the trade.
Top people are getting over 200k year with overtime.
Don't listen to people who say only cnc machinist are real machinist. When every job is different, different materials, some won't fit in machines, you don't have correct holding equipment, correct tooling etc. And you get the job done then you are a machinist.
There is a cnc machine in Phoenix that tried to repair a 6000 lbs offset vibratory weight 2 years ago they still can't get the machine to run correctly. I fixed the weight in a 1957 leblond and it still runs fine.
There is a place for everything and a need for everything. Why discouraged people.

Having some knowledge and being professional are two different things.

All the real professions I have ever met, have a career lifetime of solving problems and fixing things for both professional and non-professional alike. So much so that it is a daily occurrence. They are numb to both stupid and smart questions. No matter the problem, they just handle it. No need to stamp their feet like a little girl.

On the other hand, the guys that want to tell me 'how professional' they are. . . are generally the fuck ups. Its the first red flag I see when someone loses their cool to tell me they are an expert. If they are truly professional, no need to announce it, everyone already knows.

Want to be an expert, be professional ? Go act like it.

I don't know the basis for the feud between d and t but on some threads I have seen BOTH of them go back and forth with this bickering.

Also, several threads, especially in one sub-forum have NOTHING to do with machining start to finish yet they go on and on for many pages.

FWIW, when I see excessively wordy posts from several posters I just scroll right past them. There is also always the Ignore button for those who don't even wish to see the posts.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back