What's new
What's new

Lagun DRO z axis bracket help

Bigtalljv

Plastic
Hi,

So I purchase a 3 axis DRO for my FTV-1. X and Y are fairly straightforward install. The Z axis looks to be a pain. I found this video on YouTube, Lagun FTV-1 Quill DRO travel - YouTube , he looks to have done exactly what I was thinking about making . My question today is how could I connect the new bracket to the quill stop? Does the stop come off easily? I have not dug around in there too much yet. I can drill a hole easily enough but need a plan.

Thanks
Jason

That would be mine. Forgot I still had that video up there. Was the question how I attached the bracket to the quill stop? If so it's not at all visible in the picture. It's kind of tucked in behind. Only way I could do it and not lose any of the functionality. Hate the ones that sit in the front or block any of the bolts or handles.

If you want I can go take some pictures of the mount up close. It's a bit primitive but I did it many years ago and didn't have CNC's or very much experience then. Let me know.

Paul

Sweet, I’d hoped it was somebody here. Yes, how did you attach to the quill stop? I appreciate your help. I will send you my email via PM because the pictures here aren’t real good quality.

Primitive is fine, I’m probably going to have to do it without CNC! I have access to a Cnc router I might be able to cut the curve on, the rest will need to be manual, good practice.

Thanks
Jason

On my Acer Bridgeport type mill the quill stop is held on with a socket head cap screw, the threaded adjustable stop rod thingy has to be removed to access it. I just installed a z scale last week and just hand drilled the stop to mount the read head bracket. If you own a mill, you can probably hand drill a hole that’s square enough to look professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And if they are round I can drill a hole and cut it down to fit.

Thanks, I’ll pull out the threaded rod.

If what’s round? You are going to make the read head mounting bracket right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will take some pictures of it tomorrow for you. Got your PM to send them to you. That one in the picture was done entirely manually so if you have a Lagun you can make that part for it. Honestly can't recall if I used a rotary table or did something basic with end mills or a boring head.

My DRO Z axis is on the Knee on my FTV1. I use a Mitutoyo Digimatic Quillkit on the quill. Its way more gooder that way.

My DRO Z axis is on the Knee on my FTV1. I use a Mitutoyo Digimatic Quillkit on the quill. Its way more gooder that way.

As you can see from the video I ended up buying one with both knee/Z and quill/Q mounts. The Jenix are so inexpensive it didn't add that much to the price. I think like $100, less than the cost of the Mitutoyo kit by a lot. Well worth it I thought. And personally I hate the Mitutoyo front mount kits. They are kludgey and look like a cheap add on, plus they block using quill quick stop clamps, or easily getting to the boring auto kick out that threads on the shaft there and setting it easily with a caliper. Also had to make sure I didn't hit it when swinging wrenches re-tramming the head as the bolts are right there.

I sent you some pictures Jason and basic instructions on how I did it. Feel free to ignore those, it was just how it seemed to work best for me back then with the tools I had. Oh, one thing I didn't mention in the email was the reason it is two pieces, other than not having pieces of 6061 that size to make it one part was that you can't get to the mounting bolt behind the bracket to attach it to the quill stop if it's one piece.

Here are some pics so this thread is useful for others with the same question.

20180517_124551.jpg

20180517_124420.jpg

20180517_124330.jpg

20180517_124251.jpg

Paul, thanks for the great information. I appreciate your effort in writing all this and the pictures. Hopefully I can make something as nice as yours.

Jason

On the Acurite dro quill scale they use an expanding bushing or expanding collet that fits in the hole of the quill stop. I think Newall uses a wedge that tightens in a similar fashion to to the hole in the quill stop. If you need pics let me know. I have a quill bracket kit somewhere. If I remember, they also use small 6-32 ish screws also into the side of the quill stop.

So I’ve been working on copying paul’s design. Here’s what I have so far. Remember this is all new to me. Everything is square as curves are beyond me. The curve around nd the quill stop started with a scraped line, some freehand milling with the biggest end mill I had and way too much time with a sharpie, file, and sandpaper.

Also very happy I read another thread here and I made some way covers before I started. I’m probably taking too light a cut but the chips sure do fly!

Jason

Attachments

• 60979843-7F12-4F4B-9619-2D95C2593347.jpg
    60979843-7F12-4F4B-9619-2D95C2593347.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 9FE2550C-CA53-48A3-9A91-B2D5DBA12876.jpg
    9FE2550C-CA53-48A3-9A91-B2D5DBA12876.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 128
Well here is my finished product. Hopefully only I know all the mistakes but it’s my first creation, I’m satisfied. It works.

Jason

Attachments

• 9382722F-F7D4-4738-BD59-A1ED5CFF654E.jpg
    9382722F-F7D4-4738-BD59-A1ED5CFF654E.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 4F3602E3-DA38-485C-8D8B-29B3C29B467D.jpg
    4F3602E3-DA38-485C-8D8B-29B3C29B467D.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 119

Back