What's new
What's new

Lagun FTV2 Mill + Phase Converter + CNC

Lineshaft guy

Plastic
Most of my machine tools run from flat leather belts from an overhead line shaft but I have been offered a Lagun FTV_2 vertical mill, circa 1988, with a TEMCo 5 KV phase converter, a 6 x 7 1/2 inch Kurt vise, and what appears to be an CNC system plus some misc, tooling (mostly collets and end mills) for an asking price of $2500 "as is where is". It has a 50 x 10 inch table. The story I got was that it was used in an R&D shop for medical equipment and then sold to a employee who used it primarily for machining brass. It appears to be in really great shape with out a mark on the table, vise, or ways. I am posting a few pictures. It is located about 20 miles away (ground level access in a garage) and I think weighs about 6000 pounds. I probably can winch it on to a trailer and tow it home behind my 1961 Willys pick up, but a professional mover might make better sense. Should I buy this, and if I do what would it do to enhance my machining capabilities (over my little Atlas horizontal mill and a milling attachment on my lathe) and do I want to give up this muck shop space?

Any comments or opinions welcome
Thanks for your wisdom.

Attachments

• IMG_9493.jpg
    IMG_9493.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_9494.jpg
    IMG_9494.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_9497.jpg
    IMG_9497.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_9498.jpg
    IMG_9498.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9500.jpg
    IMG_9500.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 153
Sounds good to me. Lagun make a nice machine. Not sure about the CNC control. I've never messed with an Anilam. But, it's better than cranking handles.

I doubt that machine weighs more than 2500lbs.

Most of my machine tools run from flat leather belts from an overhead line shaft but I have been offered a Lagun FTV_2 vertical mill, circa 1988, with a TEMCo 5 KV phase converter, a 6 x 7 1/2 inch Kurt vise, and what appears to be an CNC system plus some misc, tooling (mostly collets and end mills) for an asking price of $2500 "as is where is". It has a 50 x 10 inch table. The story I got was that it was used in an R&D shop for medical equipment and then sold to a employee who used it primarily for machining brass. It appears to be in really great shape with out a mark on the table, vise, or ways. I am posting a few pictures. It is located about 20 miles away (ground level access in a garage) and I think weighs about 6000 pounds. I probably can winch it on to a trailer and tow it home behind my 1961 Willys pick up, but a professional mover might make better sense. Should I buy this, and if I do what would it do to enhance my machining capabilities (over my little Atlas horizontal mill and a milling attachment on my lathe) and do I want to give up this muck shop space?

Any comments or opinions welcome
Thanks for your wisdom.

Looks like quite a good deal. I would want to see the CNC in operation. It's impossible to overstate how much it would increase your capabilities. It's something like trying to compare an old landline phone with a smartphone. You will never use the milling attachment again and rarely (if ever) use the horizontal.

....what would it do to enhance my machining capabilities (over my little Atlas horizontal mill and a milling attachment on my lathe)

Scary that you even have to ask, but....

Improve them by one, if not two, full orders of magnitude is all.

You oughta be all over this deal like a bad rash.

I'd leave the '61 Willy's to home and rent a proper truck - one day is all you need.
ELSE JF hire it moved.

For a mere 20 miles, a roll-back makes sense, but you want to "be there" and make sure it is loaded and secured w/o damage. I like dropping a used tire over the top for a place to attach multiple tie-downs. Vertical mills are all-too-easily toppled.

Most of the Bee Pee moves illustrated right here on PM have nearly the same challenges and answers. That said, Basque-Country folk understand the value of good iron, so the mass is more than a Bee Pee. I am not he who knows by how much, but any auto-recovery rollback should handle it with ease.

Ask for a demo or guarantee the cnc control works sell your Atlas if you need the space sell your lathe milling attachment good make of mill the Lagun,top quality vise its easy on the eye looks to be well looked after but you must see it under power take someone who has worked in a machine shop for a bit backup but if its as good as it looks buy it,20miles down the road thats saves you money buy it before someone else does

Why can't I find these deals?
I hope you bought this thing before the next guy walked into that shop. :eek:

Back