UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lagun wiring. 220/380/440

lagun-diagram.jpglagun-wiring.jpg

I am not a motor wiring expert. What does the diagram inside the plate cover mean? Low voltage would be 220V and high being 440 volt. It says you can also wire this 380V on the motor plate. What do R S T mean, I assume they are the incoming 3 phase wiring. I have been research star vs delta wiring, but I don't really understand the diagrams which both reference star wiring. What voltage is this motor wired for in the photos?
    Any suggestions on a book that does a good job explaining basic motor wiring?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lagun-diagram.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokejumper98 View Post
    lagun-diagram.jpglagun-wiring.jpg

I am not a motor wiring expert. What does the diagram inside the plate cover mean? Low voltage would be 220V and high being 440 volt. It says you can also wire this 380V on the motor plate. What do R S T mean, I assume they are the incoming 3 phase wiring. I have been research star vs delta wiring, but I don't really understand the diagrams which both reference star wiring. What voltage is this motor wired for in the photos?
    Any suggestions on a book that does a good job explaining basic motor wiring?
    A couple of points that I will note from the little I can see in your photos (small):

1. The wiring of the terminals on the motor appears to be using a GREEN conductor as a hot lead. The white wire is going to earth ground (motor casing). Don't do that. Use green as ground everywhere, so anyone can look at the green wire and know that it IS ground.

2. Are you wiring the machine up to your own electrical supply? If so, what IS your electrical source? 3 phase 208, 220/230/240, 440/460? If the motor is set up for low voltage operation, it should run fine on any 3-phase source between 208 and 240, assuming the motor inter-connects are done correctly according to nameplate/wiring instruction.

3. If you are using a residential "single-phase" 220V source, and then following with a VFD to produce 3-phase current, that is another set of questions.

Basically, the standard 3-phase industrial hookup in the US is (3) hot legs, with a safety ground running from the machine structure (motor casing typically). There are differences in voltage that are typically a function of generation method (delta vs wye), which has some implications for grounding sometimes, but not so much on a simple 4-wire hookup on a knee mill.

If you can describe exactly what your electrical source is, more info may be available.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will be wiring it for 220V single phase and using a Teco L510 VFD for the 3 phase conversion. The part I don't understand is under the motor plate, the diagram shows 9 terminals to wire it either low voltage or high voltage. I only see 6 terminal. Where are the other 3? I agree the green should be ground. This is how it was wired when I received it. I will change that when I start my wiring.