What's new
What's new

Laps

xring

Plastic
I'm looking to purchase round metal laps, they need to be 5-6 inches long and from .010-.312 in diameter. At one time we had a source for them but that has since dried up. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

your .o10" 5-6 long hope that is a typo the arbors for expanding yes laps no
helical lap in Frazer Mich makes laps I have used and pleased

your .o10" 5-6 long hope that is a typo the arbors for expanding yes laps no
helical lap in Frazer Mich makes laps I have used and pleased

The .010 at that length may not be accurate but they are longer than anything I have currently found, I'll check today. We had a supplier and bought a very large amount through the years but apparently they are no more.

Make your own brass laps for the larger diameters.

The .010 at that length may not be accurate but they are longer than anything I have currently found, I'll check today. We had a supplier and bought a very large amount through the years but apparently they are no more.

Drill and ream with a taper pin or die reamer and turn an arbor to match the taper. Cut a slot along the length of the lap. File a few groves around the lap for the lapping compound. Tap the arbor into the lap to expand. The lap is always straight, full contact the length of the lap as the lap is expanded. I'm not a fan of bulge in the middle laps.

Roger

I am very interested in what the very small OD laps you are using look like. Do you have any pictures? I am after essentially the same thing.

I've had excellent luck with helical cast iron laps, both OD and ID. You can make very straight, very round holes with these and they get better with use as long as you don't screw them up.

Helical Lap offers down to 3/64" (.047")
Internal Helical Slot Laps, Arbors and Expanders | Helical Lap and Mfg

American Lap offers down to 1/16" and I think has generally been less expensive, but I would need to check some invoices.
Internal Laps, Arbors and Expanders

Needle eye laps go down to .032", but you have to take a lot of care to not produce a bellmouthed hole.
Needle Eye Laps

Smaller than .032" and the only somewhat common option I know of would be jig grinding, which can get to just about .020".

Extrude honing is an option if you don't care about form and just need a specific flow rate:
AFM Microflow - Extrude Hone

The only other high precision, small hole, options I know are Swiss. I am scared to even ask pricing.

Schlafli make a "wire" hone system that will do down to .0015" holes:
Video - Schlafli Engineering Ltd

Microcut also has a system that uses a sort of diamond reamer that will go down to .010":
https://www.microcut.ch/technologie/?lang=en

I find the Microcut tooling interesting, as it really seems like you could run those on conventional machines for a few pieces. I really need to call them and find out.

Is anyone aware of other similar tooling?

I verified that the laps are 6" long down to .020, not sure about the other sizes.

I am very interested in what the very small OD laps you are using look like. Do you have any pictures? I am after essentially the same thing.

I've had excellent luck with helical cast iron laps, both OD and ID. You can make very straight, very round holes with these and they get better with use as long as you don't screw them up.

Helical Lap offers down to 3/64" (.047")
Internal Helical Slot Laps, Arbors and Expanders | Helical Lap and Mfg

American Lap offers down to 1/16" and I think has generally been less expensive, but I would need to check some invoices.
Internal Laps, Arbors and Expanders

Needle eye laps go down to .032", but you have to take a lot of care to not produce a bellmouthed hole.
Needle Eye Laps

Smaller than .032" and the only somewhat common option I know of would be jig grinding, which can get to just about .020".

Extrude honing is an option if you don't care about form and just need a specific flow rate:
AFM Microflow - Extrude Hone

The only other high precision, small hole, options I know are Swiss. I am scared to even ask pricing.

Schlafli make a "wire" hone system that will do down to .0015" holes:
Video - Schlafli Engineering Ltd

Microcut also has a system that uses a sort of diamond reamer that will go down to .010":
https://www.microcut.ch/technologie/?lang=en

I find the Microcut tooling interesting, as it really seems like you could run those on conventional machines for a few pieces. I really need to call them and find out.

Is anyone aware of other similar tooling?

If you need a pic I'll see what I can do but just picture a piece of ground drill rod, looks exactly the same but down to smaller sizes. These were centerless ground for years for us. The smaller diameters we have in .001 increments and the larger .005 increments. We stone them down to the exact size we need to lap both steel and carbide.

What are you looking to lap and at what size?

I'll check out the links when I get a chance, thanks.

Back