What's new
What's new

Large Boring Heads

Blazemaster

Hot Rolled
I picked these up local to me and thought they may be of some use in the future. I have seen some large boring and facing heads on HBM's and I'm guessing that's what these are. The large one is about 15" and the small one about 11". Looks like a 2" straight shaft to mount them, although the large one uses an adapter and is drilled to mount on a 50 taper spindle. After looking these over I don't see how you would do a facing job so they must be for boring only.

Has anyone seen one quite like these? They look to be from the same manufacturer but I couldn't find any markings, maybe there's something under the crud. They are a little beat up from use but should clean up just fine. I would love to find out what machine they came with.

Pics to follow

I've used large boring heads on HBMs, Still have an HBM but not as large as ones I did have. Mine bolted on the spindle for facing, For boring mine had 5mt shank with a slot for a keeper. those in the photo look like they fit some type quick change holder. To feed for facing some have a toothed knob and a fixed bar. When the knob hits the bar it turns the screw. Being that big the spindle turns slow so the feed can be by hand, turn the feed handle as it comes by. However those heads in the photo don't look like ones I had but they are similar. The shank looks kinda small for a head that big.

I don't like how the adjusting screw sticks out well beyond the body of the boring head. It's an accident waiting to happen. I also agree with the previous poster that the locating spigot appears to be out of scale to the size of the head.

I wouldn't be rushing to use one of those heads but I suppose they would better than nothing.

Regards Tyrone.

Thanks for the replies. I also thought the mounting shaft looks a bit small, especially on the large one. Apparently they were being used that way though, I removed a giant boring bar from the smaller head. As i said before, the large one should bolt up directly to a 50 taper spindle once I remove the adapter. The small head does not have a removable shaft but I do know a machinist. The smaller one also has drive lug holes, it looks like I could just drill it to accept the same 50 taper setup as the larger one.

I'm not a huge fan of the sticking out adjustment screw either, I will just have to be extra careful using them. They just seemed like they could be useful and I don't have much in them.

My HBM doesn't have a facing slide. I'm cobbling stuff together to turn the OD of a 3" shaft 12" long that's welded to a 3 ft part. One of those slides would be just the ticket. Probably have to take it easy, but it would get the job done.

Doubt

I've used large boring heads on HBMs, Still have an HBM but not as large as ones I did have. Mine bolted on the spindle for facing, For boring mine had 5mt shank with a slot for a keeper. those in the photo look like they fit some type quick change holder. To feed for facing some have a toothed knob and a fixed bar. When the knob hits the bar it turns the screw. Being that big the spindle turns slow so the feed can be by hand, turn the feed handle as it comes by. However those heads in the photo don't look like ones I had but they are similar. The shank looks kinda small for a head that big.

Am having scharmann wb75 1965 model but without a facing head ,it is also a model like that you're telling which is fixing on face plate with bolts but i cant get any idea around my place about this model so will you please show your facing head ,,,,, tanx in advance😊

Back