What's new
What's new

Last of the complex tiny parts for the robot

implmex

Diamond
Hi again All:
So here is the last of the difficult parts for the project I'm working on right now.
This one is fragile, hard to hold onto and has features on 5 sides, some of which were a real challenge to make.
So I did the milling while it was still on a big solid lump and then put it on the rotary axis on the wire EDM and cut the features that were going to be hard to mill.
It worked well but it's pretty tiny and it needs to be finish tapped and deburred under the scope.
M1.0 x 0.25 tapped holes again, but this time going through 0.135" of material.

The goofy looking hole in the end of the part was cut with a 0.015" ball cutter and it's surface milled as you can see.
My stepover was 0.0005" and if you look closely I really don't have the machine I'd need to do this well... it looks pretty rough at 20X magnification with evidence of cutter bounce and crappy servo resolution along with insufficient spindle speed (6K).
Oh for a nice Hermle...hey, a man can dream can't he :D.
So I'll stone it in under the scope...tiny cables slide through it so it has to be decent with no burs and no sharp edges
Attached is a sequence of pix.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

My apologies again for the out of sequence photos...PM just put them where it wanted, not in the order I uploaded them.

Attachments

• DSCN5080.jpg
    DSCN5080.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN5085.jpg
    DSCN5085.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN5086.jpg
    DSCN5086.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN5087.jpg
    DSCN5087.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCN5088.jpg
    DSCN5088.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 200
Nice work Marcus. Conceptualizing your processes is where the real talent is at. And getting it done despite the lack of a "good machine".

Paul

Nice work Marcus. Conceptualizing your processes is where the real talent is at. And getting it done despite the lack of a "good machine".

Paul

Hey, that's my line :)

Impressive work Marcus, even taking pictures at that scale is not trivial. I was a little shocked to see a Phillips head screw on you jig though!

Hi mattthemuppet:
Mea culpa...yes I used a Phillips head screw to hold the lump in the vee block on the rotary.
It happened to be around and was threaded long enough to touch the workpiece without a shim, so I just grabbed it and violated the rule about REAL machinists and Phillips head screws.
Does this mean I have to surrender my Man Badge?:D

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Back