What's new
What's new

Lathe accident

Evan Andrea

Plastic
Hi lads I'm new to the group. I lost half my little finger whilst tightening material in the Chuck...my hip hit the spindle clutch lever and caused the Chuck to rotate for probably 4 or five revolutions ...my finger sheared off by the Chuck key.
The lathe is very old the only information on it is TNX 400 x 1000B but looks very similar to a victor model. My question to the experts is there are 2 spindle Chuck levers very similar to the Victor model ..I checked the lever at the rear of the machine which needs two actions to engage it (push lever in and up for example)
The lever mechanism at the front looks identical but on the machine I was about to use this lever allowed the Chuck to turn by just by touching off it.
I am having an issue with my foreman whereby I feel due to its very design it should take 2 actions to engage this lever
I can't seam to find a close up picture of this type of lever on line nor can I find the information to back up my statement that it is a double action required. I would really appreciate any photos...videos or a document explaining the workings of this machine part...or even pointed to a website
Really appreciate any help....thanx

Can't help with your specific machine, but we have a Dashin Prince (Taiwan)engine lathe with the spindle control on the apron (no clutch, just a lever activated drum switch). It has to be pushed to the right before it can move up or down.

Ultimately, there's only so much guarding and safety equipment they can put on these machines. It's a sad fact that most of that stuff everyone hates EXISTS because someone got hurt. When you're the one that gets hurt, safety becomes a lot more understandable. Glad you got away with your life!

You should not have been using the machine if you are unsure of how it works! All clutched machines I've used, the engagement lever moves only up and down, there is no side movement needed to enable it. That's not to say that this specific which you injured yourself upon is designed that way, but it's certainly not uncommon if it is.
If there is a chance you will accidentally engage the clutch at an unsafe time, you either put the head/spindle in neutral or kill the power.
Safety while running manual machines is up to the operator. Lots of ways to get hurt, and hurt others. Machines are very unforgiving. I'm sorry you got hurt, but I really don't think it's the machine's fault.

^ Over here in EU land, certainly clutch leavers were gated for the safety point of view from a certain time period. They have to be either pulled or lifted not simply moved in any one plane. IE they have to be bump resistant.

The fact that a simple easy bump led to a amputation level injury is proof enough the machine is currently unsafe to operate.

Tell the foreman to stop being a dick or you can pursue the negligence lawsuit if he is the one in charge of the health and safety make it clear your nameing him, get in contact with your employers insurance provider, again something every employer has to have in public view on the wall here. This shit needs to be fixed or changed now its clearly lead to such a injury occurring irrespective of how it is or originally was from new. This is basic health and safety, they can not ignore making changes to this, here your legally well with in your rights to refuse to use said machine if you feel its unsafe, especially after sustaining such a injury.

If you can video the machine, photograph the snot out of it and then kick off. Because thats wrong! Anyone worth working for should be making damn sure it can not reoccur.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune!

Most of my lathes cannot have the spindle rotated while stopped and in gear, due to the spindle brake. This forces me to shift into neutral first.

My smaller lathe does not have a positive brake action, but the clutch lever has to be lifted to engage.

If your machine has one lever that operates correctly (with a detent) and one that does not, would it not be a simple matter of repairing the mechanism? Or has it been altered or worn out?

A lot of older lathes have the bar across the front are just down to disengage and up to engage. Some have a lever over the headstock that pulls horizontally.
That secondary awareness of what's around you has to be turned on at all times.
If the handle or mechanism was faulty or unsafe pursue at will.

Sorry about your finger.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune!

Most of my lathes cannot have the spindle rotated while stopped and in gear, due to the spindle brake. This forces me to shift into neutral first.

My smaller lathe does not have a positive brake action, but the clutch lever has to be lifted to engage.

If your machine has one lever that operates correctly (with a detent) and one that does not, would it not be a simple matter of repairing the mechanism? Or has it been altered or worn out?

Or just disable the lever that is only half functioning. (Tag out first)

If I'm picturing it right, I ran a Taiwanese lathe that had a similar switch. No rotation is in the middle, then push the lever away from the operator and push down for Forward rotation. I had a similar near miss, as I tightened the Chuck, my knee "pushed away" from myself and gravity did the rest. Because of a half assed design and shitty springs in the action, it about had me.

I shut it down, disabled that switch, so the only usable switch was down by the tailstock. I also added a 3 way toggle that killed power everywhere from the foot brake, until you pressed it again. Then you could use the lever.

Manual lathes are fucking monsters that wake up in the morning thinking of ways to kill the guy working them.

R

The MAZAK ACE has a two range speed spindle speed in the headstock. There is a central position of the lever control that puts the gears in 'neutral'. I usually use that second 'no drive condition' as a safety when messing around with chucks and keys.

Bumping the apron lever is not a danger. (by design the apron control lever requires an 'over then up or down')

Sorry about your finger.

Sue I tell Ya !

Sue 'em for everything they got !

It's all their fault, you had no responsibility in this at all.

Good to hear you were not seriously injured, I say that because it could have been alot worse.
I bet it will never happen again,injuries make you more aware of what can happen quickly.
The lever usually has a detent and has to be brought over as others have said. Have someone look at it and insist on having it fixed.
Take care and be safe.

Our 16 LS has reverse gear so the single lever is not double protected.

Pull up for one way and center neutral and down for other way.

It does take some effort though.

Realise that lathe takes no prisoners and we are cheap we always power off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Eh. I got into the habit early of NEVER leaving the chuck wrench sticking out of the chuck, ALWAYS putting the spindle in neutral when putting in, taking out, measuring or dialing in work, and ALWAYS filing left handed so my sleeves and arms were never anywhere near the chuck. Some of the first things I was taught. I heeded the lessons and still have all my fingers. Never even had a close call.

If you weren't properly trained, then you have a grievance. If you were told the proper way to operate the machine, it's on you.

Always in neutral.my buddy has the same lathe as I.I went to use his and the lever just moved up and down,mine engages with lever movement.
There is an adjustment to disengage lever so it has to be move sideways to start the motor.

Sounds like he wants documentation that his machine is out of spec so he can go after the bosses. Sad situation, seems he did not get enough training to even know the safety features were worn or disabled, otherwise he would not be asking about it here.

He's young, not even getting the time of day from his supervisor, maybe not even working. Seems unlikely he's going to be allowed to walk back in and take pictures. But, I don't really know his situation. He hasn't been back since the initial post.

I suggest we wait for more information before opining further. Not that that's ever stopped us before:).

He's young, not even getting the time of day from his supervisor, maybe not even working. Seems unlikely he's going to be allowed to walk back in and take pictures. But, I don't really know his situation. He hasn't been back since the initial post.

I suggest we wait for more information before opining further. Not that that's ever stopped us before:).

pics of the finger

Back