What's new
What's new

lathe chuck for holding on milling machine

drcoelho

Stainless
Just curious whether any of you have used a lathe chuck (mounted to table) to hold a cylindrical work piece in vertical position for milling?

Yes, have done so many times. We just ordered 4 6" chucks to mount on a fixture plate for this purpose on our CNC.

Yes. This is a 12" chuck holding an 8" part. Atlas workholding makes a chuck specifically for mill use, I just use standard lathe chucks.

195266d1491007416-need-cutter-plunge-milling-aluminum-what-you-using-222.jpg

Yep, works good. Use them for vertical, horizontal, and angular workholding. Use them on RT's and angle plates as well. For a lot of stuff a good 6" reversable 3 jaw scroll Buck chuck works good, but depending on work I'll use up to 12" chuck on the mill. You can make yourself a nice adapter plate, you don't have to have one, but they make things much easier = quicker.

Bison makes a nice adapter plate for their flat back lathe chucks.
I have a dedicated 8" chuck on that base for mill work....Not so important to have a "trick" chuck here if its mill service.
On the mill you center on the part so even a chuck with run out is fine so long as the jaws are not bell mouthed....
Get a chuck with two piece jaws so that you can fit soft jaws and bore true for work if needed....

Also mount my front line lathe chuck on the mill if i have a turning job where i wish to be true to the turned part...
My primary lathe chuck is a 200mm Schunk.."Rota-G" .D1-6.mount....simply remove the chuck, unscrew the cam pins (i number them and put a mark where the pin meets the chuck back to make refitting easier.).. and put the chuck directly on the mill table, couple of hold downs and you are good to go....

Cheers Ross

I have a spare 10" Rohm chuck, brand new, that'll work nicely for this....

Your idea of moving the chuck from lathe to mill for retaining accuracy is great! I have very similar lathe chuck setup, DIN 55027/5 mount so same deal to unscrew the cam pins.

Most rotary tables have a nicely machined center hole that can be used to locate a chuck with a mounting plate and a stub arbor setup.
Bill D

I have a 4" chuck mounted on a ground plate for small parts. Just stick it in the vise.

Old 10" W&S A2-8 mount. No mounting plate. Run two studs through the chuck body directly to the tee nuts.

Have soft jaws for the 10" and two 6" chucks. Easy to interpolate/bore the jaws.

Bill

Yep, used to use a collect chuck to mill square heads on pins, sets of 100 on a semi-auto CNC

It seems someone else has been wondering this as well. I had worn 10" chuck with camlock D8 backing plate that I decided to instead scrapping use it on my mill for round stock work holding. However was wondering that does this make any sense that maybe V-block would do the same? Would it be as rigid.. Also was thinking that the chuck is quite heavy that is it bad for the linear quide rails in the long term. What do you think?
lathe_chuck.jpg

One benefit I find is that the work offset will always stay the same...

With a "V" block you will have recenter when changing parts. Not so with a 3 jaw chuck. If you are concerned about weight, take the chuck off when you are not using it. I have left a 6" on my mill frequently, but it cuts down on where I can put stuff. When that happens, off it comes.

Tom

Back