What's new
What's new

Lathe chuck jaws standards?

Terry Keeley

Titanium
Checked Machinery's Handbook and googled around, nada.

Tying to find some base jaws to make soft jaws for my 140 mm Emco chuck.

Jaws are 20 mm wide with a 6 mm pitch, slot is 8 mm. Looked at Bison and Rohm, their 20 mm jaws have an 8 mm pitch.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

I got it NOS, but it's probably from the 80's:

full

full

I got it NOS, but it's probably from the 80's:

full

full

That's why I asked Terry, …...I'm not sure about this but, IIRC in the 70's and 80's Emco made a lot of stuff to their own standards, …...their brochures were always full to the gunwales with '' Accessories Especially For Emco'' ……...and while I can't say for certain it was chuck jaws, back in the day I knew a guy who had problems trying to get accessories to fit his Emco.

So you may have an Emco exclusive chuck.

YMMV

That's why I asked Terry, …...I'm not sure about this but, IIRC in the 70's and 80's Emco made a lot of stuff to their own standards, …...their brochures were always full to the gunwales with '' Accessories Especially For Emco'' ……...and while I can't say for certain it was chuck jaws, back in the day I knew a guy who had problems trying to get accessories to fit his Emco.

So you may have an Emco exclusive chuck.

YMMV

I'm starting to think this myself, some of the guys on the Emco forums say this also.

Looks like I might havta make 'em...

I've sorta found them, but they're listed as No Longer Available :(

Looks like your chuck was made by Elliots

Rotagrip - Soft Scroll Jaws To Suit Elliot 125mm Diameter Chuck

It might be worth contacting Rotagrip on the off chance they still have some - or may know who has ??? ……….FWIW they've been very helpful in all my dealings with them.

On Edit - Terry Rotagrips part # (EP13) suggests they were made by Thame Workholding (my first link) as they still use the EP prefix for Emco chucks, …………..and IIRC Rotagrip were Thame's agents pre interweb days

I've sorta found them, but they're listed as No Longer Available :(

Looks like your chuck was made by Elliots

Rotagrip - Soft Scroll Jaws To Suit Elliot 125mm Diameter Chuck

It might be worth contacting Rotagrip on the off chance they still have some - or may know who has ??? ……….FWIW they've been very helpful in all my dealings with them.

On Edit - Terry Rotagrips part # (EP13) suggests they were made by Thame Workholding (my first link) as they still use the EP prefix for Emco chucks, …………..and IIRC Rotagrip were Thame's agents pre interweb days

You are GRAWSOME!

Grawsome

That at least gives me a lead, thank you, thank you, thank you!

edit: I found them in an old Thames catalog, I'll fire them off an email: http://www.brixis.co.uk/tec/ScrollJawsAll.pdf

Thanks guys …………….oh and BTW Sami's eye candy days are long long gone :)

Sounds familiar. I look in the mirror and think "who's that old man"?. And I'm "only" gonna be sixty next month.

I'm emailing Ian Cooper from Rotogrip, he's equally grawsome. Says he has some soft jaws from an Elliot self centering 4 jaw that will work. Apparently Elliot made the Emco chucks back when.

That's good, Rotagrip are in the heart of the Midlands metal bashing area and understand the small guy who has to watch costs (along with the congenital tightwads :D)

As for Elliot making Emco chucks, ..that's what was rattling round in the back of what's left of my brain (the crap we hang on to) ……….and IIRC Elliots chucks of that era were made in the Eastern Bloc (as were the Elliot Butler lathes) ………..and while Elliot kit could never be considered top rank, the stuff made in the Eastern Bloc was never rubbish,*** ……….sort the Ford/GM/Chrysler of the m/c tool world, …..do what it said on the tin and at a reasonable price.

*** FWIW the late Mark McGrath had a Butler 550 lathe (eastern bloc) and rated it, ……..and as we all know, Mark knew his m/c tools and was not an easy man to impress ;)

That's good, Rotagrip are in the heart of the Midlands metal bashing area and understand the small guy who has to watch costs (along with the congenital tightwads :D)

As for Elliot making Emco chucks, ..that's what was rattling round in the back of what's left of my brain (the crap we hang on to) ……….and IIRC Elliots chucks of that era were made in the Eastern Bloc (as were the Elliot Butler lathes) ………..and while Elliot kit could never be considered top rank, the stuff made in the Eastern Bloc was never rubbish,*** ……….sort the Ford/GM/Chrysler of the m/c tool world, …..do what it said on the tin and at a reasonable price.

*** FWIW the late Mark McGrath had a Butler 550 lathe (eastern bloc) and rated it, ……..and as we all know, Mark knew his m/c tools and was not an easy man to impress ;)

Just going off topic for a minute I thought " Butler's " in Halifax made some of the " Elliot " lathes. I used to deal with a little company called " Alan Richardson Machine Tools " in Halifax for " Elliot " lathe spares. I don't know wether he's still in business.

Regards Tyrone.

In the late 1970's " Elliot " opened a showrooms in Rochdale where I live. They were advertising for a " Demonstration Engineer " to work in the showrooms. I went along for the interview and I more or less had the job when I managed to talk myself out of it. I had doubts as to wether there would be enough work to keep me occupied being in my twenties then and full of beans. It would have been a great job for someone in their fifties.

It was a lucky break really because within a couple of years the Thatcher government came to power and the decline of the manufacturing base in the UK began. The showrooms closed within a year or two. I would have been out of work at a time when there were no other jobs available.

At the time I went for the job the machines in the showroom were mainly imports from abroad.

Incidentally the large rail casting being machined on that " Butler " planer in one of the photo's was taken in the " Robinson " woodworking machine factory which was also in Rochdale. In another coincidence I also almost got a job there a year or two earlier but my then employer made me an offer I couldn't refuse financially.

" Robinson " made world leading top class wood working machines but they had a really large site and the asset strippers saw the chance to make a killing and they bought it out to close it down a few years later

Regards Tyrone.

I've spent a good few hours on Robinson wood machinery, both ''taking off'' and feeding, ………….including some evil African thorn wood (to be flooring for an Arab bank in London) that if you got a splinter or thorn in you and didn't immediately clean and dress the wound properly, it went septic within hours.

And sawing down Ekki and Greenheart sea defence timbers - anyone who's ever sawn Greenheart will know what I mean :eek: …….and Ekki's no fun either,...…..both made that ''big ole'' Robinson grunt.

Thomas Robinson and Son - Graces Guide

Back