What's new
What's new

Lathe Control Transformer question

daryl bane

Titanium
My new lathe has a control transformer that has 110AC, and 220AC outputs. Would it be ok to power a LED worklight and the DRO off of this? There doesn't seem to be any other specs on it other than 60hz.

If the transformer has the capacity to power those loads, then I don't see why not?
Your LED light most likely can take the fluctuations ( if any ), and the DRO will have it's own power supply to filter out any spikes.

Neither of those devices you mentioned require much power. As Seymour said, there should be very few fluctuations coming off a transformer. I don't see any reason why you should not try it.

Daryl
Check whether one leg of the 110 is grounded. If the transformer output is isolated, consider grounding one leg at the transformer, making a derived neutral. Put a fuse sized to the transformer output rating (and outgoing wiring) in the other leg. Then, wire whatever device you want to connect to that system just like you would a normal outlet. You will have hot and neutral from the transformer to the device and a local chassis ground at the device, just like a normal hookup at a wall socket.
RKlopp

Daryl
Check whether one leg of the 110 is grounded. If the transformer output is isolated, consider grounding one leg at the transformer, making a derived neutral. Put a fuse sized to the transformer output rating (and outgoing wiring) in the other leg. Then, wire whatever device you want to connect to that system just like you would a normal outlet. You will have hot and neutral from the transformer to the device and a local chassis ground at the device, just like a normal hookup at a wall socket.
RKlopp

I would advise against grounding floating transformers. The MTB floated it for a reason. On CNC's it can cause noise issues and I can think of a couple instances where grounding it could be a problem. Such as if you are running corner grounded delta.

Neither of those devices you mentioned require much power. As Seymour said, there should be very few fluctuations coming off a transformer. I don't see any reason why you should not try it.

Any given transformer may.. or may not.. have reserve to spare.
Presuming it had a "Day Job" already - with loads it was selected to support - rather than just being something "found on post" having been abandoned in place.

They are cheap enough and plentiful enough, used-but-good most of all.

Just add whatever you need, leave the existing one to do its work. Rocket insemination, it was never.

Not that it makes a difference , but the transformer looks large for what is supposed to do, which is power 0n/off switches and safety solenoids( I think). This transformer is grounded on the neutral. I will put a fuse on the output. Thanks all

Not that it makes a difference , but the transformer looks large for what is supposed to do, which is power 0n/off switches and safety solenoids( I think). This transformer is grounded on the neutral. I will put a fuse on the output. Thanks all

The transformer must be sized to supply the surge current for an open solinoid. It drops when the solinoid closes, leaving lots of extra capacity. Adding a light and then energizing a solinoid may make the light blink but won't hurt anything.

The effect on a DRO is to be seen, but its filter capacitor probably will store enough to get past the surge.

Bill

Back