What's new
What's new

lathe DRO Info

Jimbo52

Plastic
Been about 5 years since i had my last lathe, "went through the big D and lost everything". Just picked up a 1340. Looking for info on a good DRO that is not super expensive to put on it. Did a search in this forum but couldn't find the info i was looking for. My last lathe had a DRO from Dropros "magnetic".
Did look at the Newall and liked it but really didn't want to spend a $1000. What is better, Magnetic, glass scale or?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Jim

The Newall Microsyn is the best. Compact and you can even mount the cross slide scale one ended if need. Personally I like the magnetic scales on a lathe as lathe work can make very fine swarf like from filing/sanding etc. I'm a old DROPROS user on my mill,lathe a dro is not as a big need IMO.Nice though.

The old saying you get what you pay for it.
Is very true. But it doesn't sound like you need the best toughest etc. That money can buy.
Dropros have a decent dro pretty reliable fair price. On a hobby machine or something that wasn't running all the time, they would be great.
The newalls are a great tough dro, if you are running oil coolant and cutting cast materials they seem to have the best wipers to keep the gunk out of the scales.
Really need a lot more information to give you accurate advice more than just general advice.

If you are running coolant, go with something magnetic(Newall or Mitutoyo) or find a great way to deflect the liquid from glass scales. The coolant will create a thin film on the glass and will hinder the signal getting frm the reader head to the glass and back. Which for you means scale errors and learning how to clean glass more often than magnetic.

On Newalls, make sure you actually clean the rods. Coolant can cake onto the rods and cause the reader head to not be able to run across them, which will bend them (and break, if you are using the microsyns). Newall will get you a 5um resolution on both scales, some brands will typically put 1um scales on the cross slide and 5um on the Z axis.

Jon

Thanks for the info! I understand the term "you get what you pay for". But I've seen electronics become cheaper over the years even the good stuff, so i was wondering if someone was making a good DRO for $400-500. I will be using coolant so I probably will go with the Newall.
Thanks
Jim

The Newall Microsyn is the best. Compact and you can even mount the cross slide scale one ended if need. Personally I like the magnetic scales on a lathe as lathe work can make very fine swarf like from filing/sanding etc. I'm a old DROPROS user on my mill,lathe a dro is not as a big need IMO.Nice though.

I use this also, and the scales are by far my favorite I have used yet. Not cheap, but very reliable and well designed.

Back