Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lathe inserts CNMG

Need to tool up a new too me lathe thought I would check Ebay for some inserts, Wow most big lots of them come from China.
    Are these counterfeits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think you can call a standard shaped object a couterfeit because it it made in another country out of some sort of material
    I'll say this, I bought some Chinese inserts once. Only once.
    Lots of better places to buy inserts than Ebay.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My experience with Chinese sources has been the Korloy brand which is normally a Korean brand and as far as I know they were legit.

What I received were ground, polished and perfectly suitable for the non-ferrous work I was doing and at less than $1ea I really can’t complain.

Some of the regular Chinese sources have apparently old stock Iscar grade IC907 (I think the newest is IC908) at a price that I would gamble on if I needed a pack for personal work.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I'm doing stuff in China and need an insert its only about a 5 minute walk to any of 50 tooling suppliers. They all carry the name brand stuff but lots of time they copied the box and put their own cutters in. Most of the time they turn out to be pretty good tools but then again some shatter as soon as it hits the part. It's all a gamble bu so far it has been good for me. I bought several knockoff Kennametal 60 mm face mills and can't tell the difference to the real ones in the shop. when you can buy the body for less than $10 bucks and a pack of inserts for $5 it's worth a gamble. I have some cutters that have been in the machine for months now.

As Hazzert said, Iscar IC9XX are in abundance over here. I think I picked up 100 each CNMG-432 (TF and PP) in IC907 for $20 and seem to be real. Those two inserts pretty much replaced every CNMG in the whole factory.

I've learned not to stereotype Chinese stuff with Harbor freight anymore. A lot of their tools are as good or better than the well known brands.

5. Likes StinkyDan, Bobw, Hazzert, Trueturning, jaguar36 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    I've learned not to stereotype Chinese stuff with Harbor Freight anymore.
    I've learned to not even stereotype Harbor Freight. Bought a few things there that were pretty darn good, for heap-cheap. Lots of it is crap but not all.