What's new
What's new

Lathe jaw pads for holding hydraulic valve spool.

acrosteve

Aluminum
I am going to attempt to convert this two way valve spool to a 3 way operation by machining the undercut area one one of these spools.

I have to make sure that I do not mar the surface in any way, and wonder what the best method would be for chucking it in my lathe? Brass shim stock? Aluminum sheet?

The one on the left would be modified to match the one on the right.

How hard is this going to be to machine?

SpoolValve.jpg

Thanks

Most shops would use a 5C or similar collet to hold the part.

If you have to use a jaw chuck, I have had good results cutting off a little bit of copper water pipe and slitting it lengthwise. Heat it to dull red to anneal it before use.

How hard can be judged by using a file on a non-critical portion of the part. Even if the file does not cut, carbide lathe tools will probably be able to do the job.

Larry

I would not be very confident in that modification. First, they appear to be hard chromed. Grind through the chrome in the correct location as accurately as possible. I'd think zip wheel. Then, you are removing a lot of metal and expecting the part to stay straight. Normal fit would be .0002/side. Depending on the quality of the valve it may be harder than woodpecker lips.

If I were trying that, (and I'm not, Heck Valve maker's won't even sell a spool valve not originally fitted to the valve block)

I would only use freshly bored Aluminum soft jaws.

Dead nuts fit. Clean and soft!

Thanks for the ideas. I had not considered the collet chuck, but my lathe only has a jaw chuck anyway.

Otherwise I like the idea of using annealed copper pipe. The actual machining is only clearance, so the tolerance is pretty forgiving. I just have to hold it securely without damage. The intended use is for a grapple cylinder on a front end loader bucket. So, I don't think I will take the diameter down as small as the existing, for fear of warping it. Maximum flow is not really required.

I figure I have little to loose, as that valve section is not usable to me in it's current configuration.

Shaft protectors. Made from an assortment of copper pipe and copper sheet. A slot on one side.

9CdbIOs.jpg

N8xkH4x.jpg

Larger items have a strip of soft copper between the jaw and the work.

074iX8O.jpg

Back