What's new
What's new

Lathe/Mill suggestions for new shop

West-7

Aluminum
I'm looking for a good quality industrial knee mill and general purpose engine lathe to start outfitting my new shop for general purpose job shop work. I'm only in my mid 20s and plan on keeping these machines indefinitely. Considering the machines will already be very old I would like to get machines that are fairly common so I can find parts etc in the future if need be. I want to avoid the trap of buying and upgrading several times to get something decent. I don't want to buy asian machines.

The issue is I'm in probably one of the worst areas in North America(Canadian prairies) for used iron and haven't been able to find anything decent locally. This means I'll most likely have to ship or drive 20+ hours to pick these up.

I'm looking for feedback from people with more experience than myself on which machines I should look for and where I should be looking for them. Are there any good used equipment dealers in Canada I should check out?

If you where in my position what machines would you look for?

I was considering a standard modern utilathe 12x30 and excello 602 milling machine from a dealer in ontario 2k for lathe and 4k for mill without any tooling or attachments but I doubt I'd ever be able to find any attachments or change gears for the lathe and parts for the mill would most likely be non existent or $$$

I would like to stay under 10k for both but will spend more if necessary for better equipment.

A real bridgeport will hold value, but is not the best overall machine

heavy base machines from Lagun, Wells, and Sharp are usually decent values.

I am not a fan of south bend, but they are common and parts are everywhere

I am a fan of Monarch, but they get a premium and parts are pricey

I would think a 70's 80's vintage gear head would be the best overall lathe, like a colchester, but you don't see them around

Back