What's new
What's new

Lathe Question

Typenerd

Plastic
gal05.jpgwheels01.jpg

I used a 15' Monarch Lathe in a Friends shop to take 4 inch DIA Round stock of hard half yellow and square them clean it up for engraving , see pics.
I use these rolls for Leather tooling in my Business.

He closed shop and the Equipment was sold as he was in too deep.

I have production Equipment on my Floor and a small space for a Lathe and I see this Combo Lathes, like Bolton and grizzly and wonder if they are cut out to handle what I did on the Monarch. But I can't place a Lathe like a Monarch on my Floor.

Ludwig

View attachment 282862View attachment 282863

I used a 15' Monarch Lathe in a Friends shop to take 4 inch DIA Round stock of hard half yellow and square them clean it up for engraving , see pics.

I have production Equipment on my Floor and a small space for a Lathe and I see this Combo Lathes, like Bolton and grizzly and wonder if they are cut out to handle what I did on the Monarch. But I can't place a Lathe like a Monarch on my Floor.

Ludwig

4 inch round brass stock just squaring up?
any old iron lathe with a chuck big enough to hold it would be fine.

If you're making the blanks out of raw stock to send to your engraver, I think the biggest thing will be keeping the ID a slip fit with the embossers shaft, and keeping the ID/OD concentric. I'd try to keep them +/- .002 at least.

It really boils down to your skill and confidence behind the machine though. Wither you have a high or low end machine, you the operator need to know how ridged and repeatable it is. Brass doesn't take a lot of guts to cut, but you need to understand your speeds, feeds, and tool post set-up.

Given the choice, I'd much rather go with a worn light-weight American built machine like a South bend or similar than a cheap new import machine. From my experience, damage is repairable, but you can't always fix poorly made stuff.

Ludwig
No more than a Datsun will replace a Kenworth.

you go and try parking a kenworth on a crowded parking lot, then try it again with the datsun.

And loading the shopping into a cab ten feet above ground is a lot more time and effort - I'd take the Datsun too.

Unless I was ""over-compensating" for something else's size, of course.

Dave H. (the other one)

I have stopped many times at the grocery store in my Freightliner when going thru town. Saves a trip back in the car.

Ludwig

To me it usually comes down to how much is your time worth. Most small machines tend to be pretty wimpy, thus limiting you to small cuts and softer material. Growing up we had a 12x36 lathe from a company that spelled their name Atl__ (not allowed to be mentioned here). While it was a great lathe for a kid to learn on (harder to kill yourself with 1/2 hp), it was not stiff and could not handle anything but light cuts. Later I ended up with a quality 14x22 tool room lathe with 4x more weight. Much more stiffness and far easier to machine with.

Ludwig

That's my result; Monarch 10 EE and a Bridgeport Vertical.
That's without pushing any shoping carts anywhere.

Thank for the Input Guys.

Back