What's new
What's new

Lathe sizes

just bill

Aluminum
I joined this site because I was purchasing a South Bend lathe, it was too much work to.get it work able. Then a Logan appeared, however after researching both lathes I found out the overall size was more than the room I have. That being said I would like any input about small lathes for making dies no larger than 7/8" x 4". The only two special options that would be a consideration the center to center distance for a 4 jaw head and 6 turret for the tail stock. I would love to.have the South Bend but my living space doesn't permit.
Thanks
Bill

Move away as far as u can from that over populated, over priced, over its self shit hole that thinks its some place because it has " history" bullshit.
I lived in lessburg, va for a year. Worst year of my life , no joke.i dident know what shit was till I lived there.

everyone thinks their shit smell better than yours, enough that in passing most wont even look u in the eyes, or say hello or acknowledge your passing.

dont get me started on how much of an asshole 90% of the populous is ,because there are too many assholes in a 10 mile area. Fing hate that area.

for what your paying for your little hole in the wall(if u do not own) ,u can have a nice place with room to spare elsewhere.

in 2003 I had a studio app with a living room, bathroom, and bedroom for $1200 a month.shitty place cheapest around.

Once u have a proper place u can get nicer machines:cheers:

Ask me if I miss it , I dare u.

Reading between the lines.... custom/wildcat reloading dies, custom/wildcat chambering (and/or reloading-die) reamers.. but no barreling..how about no (conventional) lathe at all?

What could that space do for what you NEED ...if you put a small combo mill into it.. then set its horizontal spindle up as a Tee lathe?

I don't mean one of the Frankenabortions.. a proper horizontal with vertical head added, ELSE a proper combo mill.

Bill
Any recommendations ?

Move away as far as u can from that over populated, over priced, over its self shit hole that thinks its some place because it has " history" bullshit.
I lived in lessburg, va for a year. Worst year of my life , no joke.i dident know what shit was till I lived there.

everyone thinks their shit smell better than yours, enough that in passing most wont even look u in the eyes, or say hello or acknowledge your passing.

dont get me started on how much of an asshole 90% of the populous is ,because there are too many assholes in a 10 mile area. Fing hate that area.

for what your paying for your little hole in the wall(if u do not own) ,u can have a nice place with room to spare elsewhere.

in 2003 I had a studio app with a living room, bathroom, and bedroom for $1200 a month.shitty place cheapest around.

Once u have a proper place u can get nicer machines:cheers:

Ask me if I miss it , I dare u.

Interesting observation with the exception of the $1200 apartment that sounds like Leesville La. Some day did like to have coffee with you.
Bill

What Manuel said.

Hardinge ESM or DV 59 + turret + tooling.
The 5c headstock alone makes it better suited for your app than the SB's.

No power feeds, though. Can be had with chase-threading, but extremely rare (one of mine has it). Otherwise limited to taps & die-heads.

Bore through spindle is 1.25" without collet closer. (about 1.125 with collet pin in place. need to remove collet locating pin to get full 1.25" but easy to do)
Easy to put second small 4j or cathead on spindle outboard extension.

But you are going to want/need a mill anyway.....:)

smt

southie 8k? nice looking benchtop. 1.125 spindle bore covers your size range.

South Bend Lathe Co.

I looked up.that lathe and it looks like the ticket, however 1k to much right now. I am considering it, I need 8 thread types and need to cut deep diamond knurling as well as the regular turning chores. I have a challenge with threading 1/8 " ROD to put screws into the end, like on a dremmil cutting wheel.
Thanks
Bill

Interesting observation with the exception of the $1200 apartment that sounds like Leesville La. Some day did like to have coffee with you.
Bill

I've never been to leesville , la but your probably right on that one.

Id be glad to have a mug of coffee, or a cold beer with u.:cheers:

Here goes another noob question about size vs accuracy. One of the parts I will be " trying" to make will be 1/8" rods tapped with a 1/4" long screw. The lathe used is a Grizzly gunsmiths lathe which really eliminates the question of size, however am I looking for trouble or an unmanageable situation looking at all these 50+ year old lathes. The 8k looks like the tool that rides the fence, however the 2k price is the stumbeling block. Whereas 7-800 for a used South Bend or Logan, how much money could be spent to accuracize the older lathes.
Thanks
Bill

Odd. Metro DC, including residing in DC proper, MD, and four VA jurisdictions since the 1960's, one house built, one bought as-is, two apartments, a town house, two full sized houses rented, two marriages, six different employers, if I count the US Army.

And my only real gripe is that taxes are higher than they reasonably could be..because.. three Northern Virginia Counties in succession have held the 'fastest growing' title in America for most of many years-on-end... from all the folks who chose to relocate TO here from somewhere else. And .. we keep building ever-more schools, roads, sewerage and such to house them.

We have a lot more than just 'historical' buildings and over-priced restaurants.

No patent on arseholes, either. Them's wherever you find 'em.

Sorry to hear you got left out of all the good stuff.

Maybe less checking-out of whether the shit of others smelled better than your own, or the reverse ... not something as was ever on MY radar... and you'd have had a more pleasant year here?

Bill
You will die sitting In traffic to go get groceries there, u cant get to the good stuff.

Unless it's totally ruined, a well kept SB9 or Logan 9" will be a FAR better machine than that chinese contraption with a South Bend sticker slapped on it. I had a Jet 9x20 and then got access to a Logan when I started at the museum. The chinese lathes are a toy by comparison from many angles... that particular SB doesn't even have a QC box. You'll have to change gears to set feed and threads. Also, the variable speed sounds like a good idea until you start trying to slow it down for threading work or anything of significant diameter (over 1"). An old belt drive lathe has backgear, which can get you down in the 50-70rpm range. More importantly, that speed reduction is by gearing reduction, so you get a torque multiplication. Not so with a vari-drive. Add that to the fact that you will have to work on an old lathe OR a brand new chinese one. I don't care what name is on it, the lack of quality control of chinese goods is horrific. You could buy 3 used old lathes for the price of this new chinese thing. One of the three would be useable. Not so sure about the chinese one.

Thanks, there is another twist. I found a Logan 200, It has a couple threading gears missing, but it isnt quick change. It appears to be in a good shape except for that. I dont know what gears are missing yet, but it fits the budget and space. I do not want to buy a white elephant like the owner did. Is a couple missing gears a deal breaker if they are not the threads I need or is there a way around that issue.
Thanks,
Bill

Back