What's new
What's new

Lathe Spindle Taper size and type?

Awleaphart

Aluminum
Hello everyone,
I have picked up a Lansing P15-15"x40" lathe and can't seam to find a manual anywhere on the web. With that said I'm trying to figure out the spindle bore taper type and taper size or number. At the very back it measures 2" and on the chuck side it measure 2.17". I tried to measure about 3" or 4" down the spindle but not getting a good measurement. It looks to have two grooves inside the spindle about 1/2" wide. If anyone knows what the taper is or maybe direct me to somebody or place that might have a manual I would apprentice it.
Thanks
A Leaphart

Standard tapers
Dimensions of Standard Tapers - LittleMachineShop.com
likely someone who know will chime in....

Simple trick is to mount an indicator at the too post/ Then set a travel stop at exactly one inch/ by hand travel into the taper and note the indicator travel..this to fine taper per inch. Yes consider that a test indicator does not give true distance.

Morse #6=.052.....2.116-2.494 length 7 1/4"
B&S-14=.041......2.000-2.344 length 8 1/4"
Jarno #20 =.050...2.000-2.500 length 10"

To try testing you want to blue-up so to be careful not to harm the machine.

One can jury rig a straight rod perhaps 1/2" diameter with a cork or something to hold it in place.. then touch off at one inch apart with long travel and use the cross hand dial numbers to feel/test the taper.

Thanks for the reply's everyone.
I'm going to try the indictor in the tool post to see if I can get a good reading. There are light relief cuts in the spindle about a 1/2" wide. By the wat they look it came from the factor like that.The tail stock is a number 4 Morse taper but the head spindle seams to big.
Thanks
A Leaphart

OK,
I took the chuck off. The end of the spindle is 2.17 The first relief groove is a at .775 from the end of the spindle. I'm getting 0.023 from end to .775 into the spindle. I went on in deeper pass the second relief cut and it measures 2.07 diameter. So I'm confused.
A Leaphart

How long do you think the spindle taper might be?
You seem to say...
Big end 2.170
Small (deep) end 2.000
length ?
That doesn't seem to fit the most standard tapers.
*Are you dead sure there is not a taper sleeve in the bore and perhaps you are not seeing the true machine bore taper.

If finding that is the true bore ...
Guess I would take a piece of 1/4" lauane floor plywood underlayment..and rough saw cut it near, then File fit it to the bore like a blue in fit to make an exact gauge. likely take up to an hour to do that. then you would know for sure.

Here find perhaps the same machine. You might call them and ask. *They have the manual.
15" X 40" Lansing P15, Lathe, 3-Jaw 8" Chuck, 2" Spindle Bore, Steady Rest, Metric Threading, 40-1800 Rpm, Bl1671 Lathes, Engine - SurplusRecord.com

Last edited:
Let's make sure of how you are measuring the taper. The way I would do it is to mount a dial indicator to the tool post. Bring the indicator to the start of the taper and zero both it and the cross slide dial. Use a known length block to set a carriage stop that will allow the carriage to get past the relief groove, preferably to near the end of the taper. Back the indicator to near the center of the axis and move the carriage to the stop. Move the indicator to touch the taper and bring it to zero using the cross feed. Record the number of thousands the cross feed has changed. That number along with the length of travel will give the taper in inches/inch per side.

Tom

OK,
I took the chuck off. The end of the spindle is 2.17 The first relief groove is a at .775 from the end of the spindle. I'm getting 0.023 from end to .775 into the spindle. I went on in deeper pass the second relief cut and it measures 2.07 diameter. So I'm confused.
A Leaphart

First try was .023 of taper at .775 length down the spindle.
Now I went Toms route and I'm getting .067 of taper at 2.53 down the spindle.
So if my math is right. First try is 0.029 in an inch. Second try 0.026 an Inch.
A Leaphart

.026 times 2 is .052 on dia - close to MT at .624 per foot. on dia. Of course the dia. is whatever they felt like, so not too far off from being 5 1/2 MT

On all such things, the bushing they sold the lathe with is what is wanted

If you just want a center, chuck up stock, turn a point with compound and there it is

Last edited:
Like TD said in post 8 don't use the indicator's travel to see taper. Touch and set dials to zero at a place in the big end of taper and move away from taper..

Then go down inside to a distance (best an exact number of inches and come in to taper to touch there.

The dial amount away from the set zero will tell the amount of taper for that many inches perhaps 1" or 2" or 3".. so telling the taper per inch.

A test indicator does not measure travel ..they only Zero Zero to something like a jo block / or the amount away from zero like in setting center for a 4jaw.

I measured the distance down the spindle with a depth gauge.It catches the edge of the relief cut in the spindle bore and I measured the taper just as you and tom directed. I touched off with the test indicator at zero inside the spindle at the beginning with a dia-indactor set to zero on my cross slide. I back off and went down to the beginning of the second relief cut and moved back in and stop when the test indicator read zero and took the measure off the dial indicator on the cross slide.
A Leaphart

Thanks guys for all of the help. I do believe there was a sleeve that came with the lathe a one time. Hard to think no ones know where to get a manual for this lathe.
A Leaphart

I got my hands on the manual to the lathe. It points out in the book it has a bushing for a #4 Morse taper. It does not tell you what the bushing taper is. It seams to been made just for this machine.
A Leaphart

Back