What's new
What's new

Lathe: when is support needed for long stock?

drcoelho

Stainless
Looking for some safety recommendations about when one should provide support on left side of lathe head for long stock to avoid whiplash issues, etc.? e.g. length, diameter, etc...

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule due to differences in lathe geometry and stock characteristics but generally anytime the outboard end can flex support should be provided. You can kind of guesstimate it by trying to flex it by hand with the lathe off. If you can make it move it's highly likely that it may whip once spinning and once that happens things go bad quickly.

YouTube

this is definitely when

Nope, I think that's "too late". :eek: I think the golden rule is: If in doubt, provide some support. In the past
if I wasn't sure I'd spin something up to 500 RPM and observe what happens. If you feel vibration at that
speed chances are good that things are gonna get ugly if you spin it up to 3500 or more...

Anytime the stock reaches the outboard end of the spindle as far as I'm concerned. I use bushings there and further outboard support if the stock extends much past that.

Probably a stickout/diameter ratio would be best. For steel, a 1" bar sticking out 12-18" doesn't bother me at low speeds like <500 rpm. But I dont think I'd try that for plastic.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Err on the side of caution both in the amount of stickout and the revs you run at. I've seen it happen about 3 times in my working life. Even big bars will bend like an Allen key if provoked. You'd be amazed, it happens quicker than in that film if you have no support at all. We had all our lathes bolted down to the concrete and the last time it happened it lifted the headstock end of the lathe off the ground by about an inch by pulling 4 off 5/8" rag bolts out of the ground !

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
YouTube

this is definitely when

I was going to say when the bar starts to bend, but I guess that is not funny or helpful. I would agree whenever in doubt, be safe and do it.

Per the video, can't believe someone would do that.. :crazy: I get accidents happen, but anyone with lathe experience (I would think!) would know that bar was too long and needed support or cut in half....

I was going to say when the bar starts to bend, but I guess that is not funny or helpful. I would agree whenever in doubt, be safe and do it.

Per the video, can't believe someone would do that.. :crazy: I get accidents happen, but anyone with lathe experience (I would think!) would know that bar was too long and needed support or cut in half....

Dummies are dummies, no matter what they're doing.

Back