What's new
What's new

is this lathe worth owning?

Cleancut

Aluminum
Hi guys, I'm just a hobbyist at this point (except for turning some cylinder bases for a small engine shop), and currently have a worn out southbend that cant hold any great tolerances.

I have been to told to stick with a 14x40 or larger for the rigidity and weight , which i totally agree with...

But, this has come up pretty cheap not too far away. Should I even consider it? it will no doubt be a lot tighter then my old southbend.I think its a 12x36? craftex model B2070. Seems to have a few not so cheap features like separate feed and threading shafts, gap bed etc....dont know if the change gears/carriage is oil bath?

thanks for any input... BTW is this a threaded spindle? thought all the newer stuff was cam-lock..... this craftex is about 2001 era.

IMG_0787.jpgIMG_0783.jpgIMG_0782.jpgIMG_0763.jpgIMG_0785.jpg

It has a geared head,so be sure to remove the cover and look at the gears......and the oil............the feed box is Norton type,so it doesnt run in a bath..check the gears....the apron may have an oil bath.......Appears to be threaded spindle,certainly the faceplate shown is threaded......it would be OK for a price....round here not over $1000,about the same as $C,............You should remember ,the orientals all have hardened beds,the old iron being touted by some generally dont........a hardened bed is essential IMHO,in a used lathe.

Looks like it may be an LOO spindle? There appears to be a collar if you look closely. But.... there's no keyway in the tooling.

Threaded spindle. He has some sort of attachment for detecting RPM? That's a re-badge Jet lathe they used to sell in the early 1980's. A place I worked at had one in one of the departments for quick repairs so it didn't tie up the larger lathes in th production shop.

The faceplate and blank plate are certainly NOT D1-4,and Ive never seen a Chinese machine with a long taper........the real early ones used a J taper,which is basically a D without the locking mechanism,just threaded studs and washer faced nuts..The accessories do not appear to have been used.......the device on the head obscuring the spindle is ,I think,a rev counter pickup,ergo the lathe has a inverter drive fitted.......which adds a bit of value........edit.......always check for coolant in the apron sump..........but it doesnt seem to have a pump,so maybe no coolant.

If metric threading is important it has the compound gear you see mounted, it’s the big one and there is at least one extra gear or maybe more in the plastic bag with the extra tooling.

Thanks everyone. He said the original owner was doing some kind of copper wire winding work , and hasn't really seen any metal turning. It does appears to be in good shape.

The budget counter was to keep his windings accurate I guess....

I see an oil plug on top of the carriage, but I'm thinking this is to just drip oil in? There doesn't appear to be any sight glass. The QCGB box also has the same oil plug and it certainly isn't a bath type so maybe they are just drip holes?

I really want to like this thing. Common guys , help me out here.... :typing:

1250 CAD..... in my neck of the woods it ain't bad.

What will disappoint? It's gotta be straiter them my 100 year old soft bed SB..

That’s roughly $950 US and I’m sure you are in a desert area for finding machinery. Not a whole lot of money to spend and I’m sure you’d get your money out of it if you didn’t like it. It’s by no means a Standard Modern like in the one link and it’s not $4000 either.

Nice but 4x the cost...

You think it would be that bad?

Yup!!!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. “

Check this out: Emco Maximat Super 11 Lathe | eBay

That's what I have, very nice Austian made machine. Doesn't say if it comes with any tooling so that might be expensive down the road but you can get what you want as you need it. You could sell the milling attachment for US750.

He's in Langley!

Back