What's new
What's new

Lathemaster 9 x 30 or old US lathe??

porsche_v8

Aluminum
I need a smaller general use garage shop lathe that will turn fast enough for a good finish on aluminum parts.

Is it better to rebuild an older US made lathe or do the final fit and finish on a new import lathe?

It seems to be hard to find good used US equipment in my area.

I hate the idea of buying an import but there is something nice about not having to guess if it is worn out or treated badly

I have had a few people pointing me to a 9 x 30 from Lathemaster.

Anyone have one of these? Are they any good??

930_web.jpg

Thanks!
Todd

Hi;

I had one of these. They are not bad at all. The major complaint I had, was lack of a QC gearbox. Also, they are a bit on the light side in the compound. All the gib adjusters need to be tightened a bit to do steel work, but for aluminum, I think it will be fine. There are a lot of aftermarket mods(variable speed...).It was very well aligned when I got it.

hope this helps,

Jon P.

Been very happy with mine. Have added a variable speed DC motor and QCTP to it, which adds tremendously.

These lathes are a lot of bang for the buck. Think about whether you need so much distance between centers, as the 8x18 is the same lathe with a shorter bed. Depending on what you want it for, you could save quite a lot of money.

Best,

BW

I have one just like it, though the headstock looks a bit different. I agree with the comments above, no sand inside etc. and aligment was OK.
Two gripes:
1: lack of T-slots on the cross slide. It's not possible to mount an angle bracket or something like that for the odd milling job.
2: no real feed for the carriage. The lead screw is used for feed, whichs mean that in time it'll be somewhat worn.

But heck, at around 900 Euro it's OK.

Benta.

hi todd, i have not heard of, or owned one of these lathes but, i can relate to owning an imported lathe. it has been a pretty good lathe and has done things i thought it could not do, it was inexpensive and most importantly,suited my needs at the time (i still use it tho") anyway, my major frustration has been getting parts for the dang thing.i bought it from a local tool dealer and, have been able to get parts so far, but it takes a loooooong time(slow boat from china,i guess :D )if it was me going to do it again ,i would order some extra parts(wear items) up-front like half-nuts,etc(they have been the achilles' heal to my machine)or any other type of "wear" item. i doubt that anything will wear out/break in the warranty period but, usually a little while after that just when you start really depending on the machine to do a job is when it will go down on you( sounds like the voice of experience here :rolleyes: ) the wear parts ususally don't cost that much and it is better to have them sooner than when you need them. ;)

This fellows site covers that lathe and has other interesting small shop info as well:

http://www.tedatum.com/thms/lathemaster.html

I've bought some tooling from and spoken to Bob at Lathemaster and he is a gentleman to deal with. I don't think he shines in the areas of speedy delivery and communications but we are all spoiled there anyway ;)

Since we have basically the same big lathe, I'll offer my experience with a 9x20 as a companion.

At home I have the 18" L&S and a Jet 9x20. Having two lathes on hand is extremely handy and the little Jet does indeed have a higher top speed. The only complaint I have is that the gap is so large between the capacities of the two machines. Also lack of power on the 9"er. I guess I am just spoiled by having that big L&S, but it just takes forever to reduce a diameter on the Jet. Rigidity is also pitiful on the little machine, making cutoff and some other work a real pain.

Unless you are dealing with limited room, I'd look a little bigger than this. I am currently looking for something along the lines of a Hardinge HLV, a Monarch EE, or other good sized toolroom lathe to replace the Jet. They will spin up about 50% faster than the Chinese machines, carry enough power to do some real work, and there is just no comparison in terms of strength and rigidity.

Generic Chinese import lathe. I'd suggest getting a Grizzly or Jet- support is generally reported to be better than the other vendors and you'll likely need some replacement parts to fix DOA parts on the new unit. Getting one off ebay makes me wonder if the vendor will be responsive to issues.

Greg

It's not any better to get the Grizzly or Jet, they don't make a lathe in this size. The 9x20 sucks in my opinion, even though we sell the Jet 9x20 (never recommend it)
We stock EVERY part for the PM1027 lathes. And a lot easier to deal with than Grizzly or Jet, I actually know what a lathe is and what it does compared to most people in those large places.
It is close to the BB25, but not exactly the same. Some things are different, but it is the company that manufactures them.
"Getting one off ebay makes me wonder if the vendor will be responsive to issues"
Grizzly and Jets are sold all the time on Ebay too! Its just another place to sell them!

"Don't confuse the Lathemaster with a 9x20--they're completely different machines."

But much the same in overall performance and specs. Handwheels are identical, that awful compound on a stick, that rediculous 4 way turret toopost, same basic layout, probably the same uselss "low" speed of around 150 rpm... This guy has a 20" L&S for a big lathe. These Chinese lathes are an absolute joke by comparison. I know, I own both myself.

Back