What's new
What's new

Lead screw bearing/support for Atlas V36 lathe 6 inch

geshka

Aluminum
Hello there.

I have Atlas V36 lathe with broken leadscrew bearing on right hand side. Previous owner made some fixture out of big door hinge (!!!). It works but looks terrible and feels wobly.

Looking for measurements or dimensions or drawings for leadscrew support on 6 inch Atlas v36 lathe. Specifically I am interested in two critical measurements: distance away and distance down for shaft bore center line from mounting surface. Plan is to 3d print it first and than to cast it from aluminum or brass

Thanks a lot.

Hello there.

I have Atlas V36 lathe with broken leadscrew bearing on right hand side. Previous owner made some fixture out of big door hinge (!!!). It works but looks terrible and feels wobly.

Looking for measurements or dimensions or drawings for leadscrew support on 6 inch Atlas v36 lathe. Specifically I am interested in two critical measurements: distance away and distance down for shaft bore center line from mounting surface. Plan is to 3d print it first and than to cast it from aluminum or brass

Thanks a lot.

Machinery Discussion Guidelines

"In before the locky poo".....:D

Hello there.

Thanks a lot.

There is or was a yahoo group specifically for those lathes and though yahoo groups has died, there might be a follow on if you search.

You should also check out the Home Shop Machinist discussion forum which does permit discussion of that machine.

You can measure those distances close enough yourself. Move the carriage all the way toward the tailstock, lock the half-nuts and remove the existing mounting bracket. The leadscrew will float to the best position for the bracket. Use a square, block rule etc. and get the measurements you need.

You can measure those distances close enough yourself. Move the carriage all the way toward the tailstock, lock the half-nuts and remove the existing mounting bracket. The leadscrew will float to the best position for the bracket. Use a square, block rule etc. and get the measurements you need.

Southbend did it one better. The right hand leadscrew support is overbored, and when the carriage is located nearby, they poured babbit metal into the support, to make it real close.

Don't cast it, machine it from a lump of brass or aluminum. It only has to be close, the leadscrews are not terribly rigid.

Best part is the SB parts manual for that bracket shows a weird little prismatic block. With a part number. It's the block of babbit metal!

Really termite! One would think you would go off on your BS 50" Niles lathe story here, the spring cuts termite...all the spring cuts you could ever hope for!
Your certainly are full of shit no matter the subject.

Back