Lead screw bearing/support for Atlas V36 lathe 6 inch
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default Lead screw bearing/support for Atlas V36 lathe 6 inch

    Hello there.

    I have Atlas V36 lathe with broken leadscrew bearing on right hand side. Previous owner made some fixture out of big door hinge (!!!). It works but looks terrible and feels wobly.

    Looking for measurements or dimensions or drawings for leadscrew support on 6 inch Atlas v36 lathe. Specifically I am interested in two critical measurements: distance away and distance down for shaft bore center line from mounting surface. Plan is to 3d print it first and than to cast it from aluminum or brass

    Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    20,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geshka View Post
    Hello there.

    I have Atlas V36 lathe with broken leadscrew bearing on right hand side. Previous owner made some fixture out of big door hinge (!!!). It works but looks terrible and feels wobly.

    Looking for measurements or dimensions or drawings for leadscrew support on 6 inch Atlas v36 lathe. Specifically I am interested in two critical measurements: distance away and distance down for shaft bore center line from mounting surface. Plan is to 3d print it first and than to cast it from aluminum or brass

    Thanks a lot.
    Machinery Discussion Guidelines

    "In before the locky poo".....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geshka View Post
    Hello there.

    I have Atlas V36 lathe with broken leadscrew bearing on right hand side. Previous owner made some fixture out of big door hinge (!!!). It works but looks terrible and feels wobly.

    Looking for measurements or dimensions or drawings for leadscrew support on 6 inch Atlas v36 lathe. Specifically I am interested in two critical measurements: distance away and distance down for shaft bore center line from mounting surface. Plan is to 3d print it first and than to cast it from aluminum or brass

    Thanks a lot.

    There is or was a yahoo group specifically for those lathes and though yahoo groups has died, there might be a follow on if you search.

    You should also check out the Home Shop Machinist discussion forum which does permit discussion of that machine.

  4. Likes digger doug liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    1,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    758
    Likes (Received)
    796

    Default

    You can measure those distances close enough yourself. Move the carriage all the way toward the tailstock, lock the half-nuts and remove the existing mounting bracket. The leadscrew will float to the best position for the bracket. Use a square, block rule etc. and get the measurements you need.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Machinery Discussion Guidelines

    "In before the locky poo".....
    Oops. sorry.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post
    ... get the measurements you need.
    yes, this is backup plan. Thanks

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    26,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post
    You can measure those distances close enough yourself. Move the carriage all the way toward the tailstock, lock the half-nuts and remove the existing mounting bracket. The leadscrew will float to the best position for the bracket. Use a square, block rule etc. and get the measurements you need.
    Southbend did it one better. The right hand leadscrew support is overbored, and when the carriage is located nearby, they poured babbit metal into the support, to make it real close.

    Don't cast it, machine it from a lump of brass or aluminum. It only has to be close, the leadscrews are not terribly rigid.

  9. Likes muckalee liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    they poured babbit metal into the support, to make it real close.
    That is clever. I still don't have this technology and I don't have babbit... Lump of aluminum is easier to obtain

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    26,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5758

    Default

    Best part is the SB parts manual for that bracket shows a weird little prismatic block. With a part number. It's the block of babbit metal!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    17,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    11157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Best part is the SB parts manual for that bracket shows a weird little prismatic block. With a part number. It's the block of babbit metal!
    For an @las? ISTR a Carter "Model N" lawnmower side-draft carb stripped of throttle shaft & butterfly plate has a bore about the right size?

    Ignorant pine will do, actually.

    He did say "@las?"

  13. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Walla Walla Wine and Wild Turkey
    Posts
    5,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    606

    Default

    Really termite! One would think you would go off on your BS 50" Niles lathe story here, the spring cuts termite...all the spring cuts you could ever hope for!
    Your certainly are full of shit no matter the subject.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •