What's new
What's new

Leak/Catch Trays

tmparry01

Plastic
Hi Guys,

What are people doing to help keep their shop floor clear of leaking coolant and hydraulic oil from older machines? Anyone using steel fabricated trays for the machine to sit inside?

When I was in automotive, we had under every machine. IIRC, most were 12ga and about 4" larger on each side than the machine. They were "supposed" to get cleaned out once a shift. Last place I worked at, they just fixed the leaks.
JR

I had one made for my horizontal band saw. It's got a little tiny hydraulic leak. But the pan has been much more useful catching the coolant that doesn't make it back into the sump. And for providing a place to put cut offs at an angle so the coolant can drain off.

I was going to make one. But the neighbors fab shop made it for less than I could think about. 14 gauge steel. 64" long x 34" wide x 3" deep. Had them bend and stitch weld 1/4" steel rod around the top so nobody would cut their ankles on it. Material: $72.45 Labor: $112.50

I had a large shallow tray fabbed up for the turret mill, about 3 x 5 feet. Locked the knee in place, removed the anchor bolts in the jack screw base, and wound that up a ways, then slide the pan underneath, lowered the screw base back down and bolted it back down. I had to drill the bolt pattern through the pan of course.

This arrangement is handy because it gives you a toe space to work around. No way would I want that pan on the floor and be tripping and stubbing against it.

Country as once built over 2700 441-foot long Liberty ships in four years oughta still have SOMEBODY as can make a piddly little crumb tray for a toaster oven...

:D

DonJohn shipyard in Erie still has the drydock up & running for the 1000 footers....

Just sayin'

Back