What's new
What's new

Leblond Dual-Drive, can feeds be changed on the fly? Video included

Um, yeah. He turns the lathe off with the spindle lever engaged. I would not look to this place for correct operating procedures.

Bill

What do you mean by spindle lever? How else would you turn it off? It doesn't have a clutch, it's a direct belt-drive with DC brake on the input pulley/shaft.

I wasn't planning to look to this place for operating procedures. I just saw what he was doing with the feed levers (especially the forward and reverse feed) and wondered if that was ok. If it is then I'm a happy camper because I have this exact model in my shop about to be powered up from a full restore.

It's not a synchro-mesh transmission, so make your changes with some finesse and allow those straight cut and pointed gear teeth to mesh gently and you'll be OK.

Mike

So it's ok to do as in the video but maybe be gentle about it and don't flip from fwd to reverse on the highest spindle speed as he demonstrated? I guess I've just always made the assumption it wasn't ok but it's good to know otherwise. I'm not sure I'll do it often with mine after all the work I've put in it.

What do you mean by spindle lever? How else would you turn it off? It doesn't have a clutch, it's a direct belt-drive with DC brake on the input pulley/shaft.

I wasn't planning to look to this place for operating procedures. I just saw what he was doing with the feed levers (especially the forward and reverse feed) and wondered if that was ok. If it is then I'm a happy camper because I have this exact model in my shop about to be powered up from a full restore.

I have a Dual Drive. What I meant was that he shut the power off to the relay with the start/stop while the spindle was still running forward and the feed was engaged. The next time it is powered up the spindle will start right away. The spindle forward/reverse/brake lever works the contacts directly.

Bill

I don't have that machine, but I do change feed ratios in the quick change on the fly. The gears there are pretty slow turning for the most part, I think that is why it works.

Forward/reverse feed, you'd have to try it (at low speed first, or even rolling it over by hand) to see if you get any gear clash. I know I cannot do it on any of my lathes, but there may be better designed shift systems that can handle it correctly.

This dealer is a reseller, nothing more. They do not know operating procedures for the equipment they sell. I have purchased from them. If they have a lathe you want, offer about half of what they ask and wait, they will come down. They have an independent private shipper that will deliver when available..

I have a Dual Drive. What I meant was that he shut the power off to the relay with the start/stop while the spindle was still running forward and the feed was engaged. The next time it is powered up the spindle will start right away. The spindle forward/reverse/brake lever works the contacts directly.

Bill
Ah, I saw that and didn't realize thats what you meant.

This dealer is a reseller, nothing more. They do not know operating procedures for the equipment they sell. I have purchased from them. If they have a lathe you want, offer about half of what they ask and wait, they will come down. They have an independent private shipper that will deliver when available..
Thats why I came here to ask. That ugly machine has been on ebay for over a year at twice what its worth. I'm interested only in one if it can be had cheap, for parts, bc there no dual drive parts machines that I'm aware of.

Back