What's new
What's new

Leblond Lathe Wiring

Kneubaecker

Plastic
I have a Leblond regal lathe that was wired for low power. Moved the lathe across the shop and connected it to high power 480V. I switched the wires in the motor for high voltage. The lathe worked after making the connection and 5 minutes later the small electrical panel cover flew off and it was smoking.

Does any one know what the small electrical control panel on the back of the machine does. Do I need to switch wires in there to move to high voltage.
I have limited knowledge on wiring.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

20190525_160610.jpg20190525_160633.jpg20190525_160745.jpg20190525_161043.jpg20190525_161145.jpg

There appears to be a small transformer in that enclosure that has to have its primary side connected for the line voltage. The lathe was previously connected for 240v which was fine..now it's connected for 480v which isn't too fine for the little transformer. If it lived through the ordeal you'll need to reconnect the primary side for HI voltage, 480 volts. Make sure any other electrical devices that are multi-voltage are also changed. If the lathe has a mag starter with overloads, they will have to be changed to match the motor FLA at the higher voltage.

Stuart

The transformer has H1,H2 and H3 but there is no H4
View attachment 257430

Did H4 get vaporized? Did you follow inside the panel to see if there was evidence of H4?

As stated, you need a H4. I doubt someone custom wound the transformer. Is there a nameplate on the transformer?

If it were mine and I could not find H4, then I would be buying a new transformer and hooking it up correctly. Not a very expensive transformer.

The transformer has H1,H2 and H3 but there is no H4

Might not be the transformer that came with your original panel. What is the part number of that transformer.
It does not look like a typical control transformer but if it works ...

Otherwise control transformers do not cost much, as markz528 has typed.

Back