What's new
What's new

LeBlond Regal clutch images needed

rke[pler

Diamond
A friend recently got a LeBlond Regal (15? 16?) at auction and while I was checking it out I found that the mechanism connecting the front clutch handles with the clutch are gone and apparently the clutch locked. Looking at the end of the lathe all that's present is the bevel gear on the end of the shaft. If someone could get a decent image of that end of their Regal I'd appreciate it just to know the scale of the problem. If someone is scrapping out a Regal with a mostly intact clutch linkage I'd be interested in chatting about it.

If it is a "square head"made from the 50's on up it doesn't have a clutch,only an electric brake.It is applied any time it has power.When the fwd-rev lever is used it cuts power to the brake and applies power to the motor.

As far as the bevel gear is concerned there is an equal gear connected to the switch.Maybe the whole switch is missing?

If it is a "square head"made from the 50's on up it doesn't have a clutch,only an electric brake.It is applied any time it has power.When the fwd-rev lever is used it cuts power to the brake and applies power to the motor.

As far as the bevel gear is concerned there is an equal gear connected to the switch.Maybe the whole switch is missing?

I should have mentioned: Best we can tell it's a early 60's lathe, and it's not a servo-shift.

It sounds as though the whole of the switch mechanism is gone, the lever under the gearbox really isn't connected to anything. I'll keep an eye out for someone scrapping a Regal, maybe I'll find one.

This might help.It is an online copy of the Army manual.http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/L...londarmy19.pdf.
It shows the switch in the back of the manual.

The army manual mentions a 5 position switch - I imagine it's a center off, and each side is motor off/brake on and motor on/brake off?

I'll poke around and see if the electric brake is still present. If that was the point of failure it might not be worth taking back to original

I have a manual for LeBlond Regal lathes from 1931; sounds like your friend's is much newer but I can send you a PDF if you think it will help. Just PM me with an email address if you want it.

I have a manual for LeBlond Regal lathes from 1931; sounds like your friend's is much newer but I can send you a PDF if you think it will help. Just PM me with an email address if you want it.

Thanks but the army manual is pretty close, with another from Vintage Machinery I think I'm good to go.

A friend recently got a LeBlond Regal (15? 16?) at auction and while I was checking it out I found that the mechanism connecting the front clutch handles with the clutch are gone and apparently the clutch locked. Looking at the end of the lathe all that's present is the bevel gear on the end of the shaft. If someone could get a decent image of that end of their Regal I'd appreciate it just to know the scale of the problem. If someone is scrapping out a Regal with a mostly intact clutch linkage I'd be interested in chatting about it.

Contact Dave Brideman @ Bridgeman Machinery Sales in Detroit, 313-366-1060......he works on these machines all the time and may have some spares, he maybe able to walk you thru fixing it as well?

Kevin

Back