LeBlond Royal 15" x 54" Lathe Restoration or Part Out? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That tailstock is in no way, shape or form unrepairable.

I'd weld the casting back together using "Muggy" rod in a stick welder- I've used it fairly extensively on several of my machines, and it lives up to every bit of its hype. Generally I don't even bother with preheat- I just make a short weld, maybe an inch or so, chip and brush, maybe make another one in a different spot, then let the thing cool. Ten, fifteen minutes later, I'll do it again, until the seam is finished.

The Muggy rod "butters" into clean cast iron almost as well as 6011 does on mild steel. I'll occasionally get porosity, I'm not sure if it's because of the iron or impurities in the iron, but if I do, I grind it out and put on another pass.

It's not cheap per rod- almost $10 each- but a lot easier than heating and slow cooldown measures, and/or the cost of a tank or two of acetyelene.

After the casting is back together, the quill can be derusted with Evap-O-Rust, plain vinegar, or with reverse electrolysis. Ditto the base.

And the handwwheel? Toss it and find a suitable donor off eBay or McMaster-Carr. The tailstock handwheel on my big Springfield had been broken at some point and badly repaired- rather than try and grind all the combined MIG and braze birdcrap out, I just found a likely replacement on eBay for about $25, modded it a bit to make it fit, buffed it up, and added a $20 chrome revolving handle, also off of eBay.

Everything else on that machine appears to be in better shape than my Springfield was, and that rebuild came out nicely.

Yeah, if it were me, I;d fix it. If you don't want to spend the time to fix it, sell it cheap as a complete project lathe.

Generally when you part out something like that, you wind up with a machine like adh2000's up there- you end up selling just enough key pieces to make the entire lathe unusable, then the rest sits there taking up space until you finally decide to scrap it.

Some lathes, like the very popular 10EE or the very common Logans or Southbends, can indeed oftenh be worth more in parts, and will often sell almost all the parts. But for the less popular models, you wind up selling a few key parts, and the rest sits and rots. It's worth more together than it is as parts.

Doc.

2. Likes tdmidget, mllud22 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's not a Regal. That would be the model before this. It's a Regal Servo Shift. It's worth saving.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DT38K I tried to respond to your PM but you have too many saved so I cannot get a PM back to you. Let me know if you delete some so I can respond.

Charlie