What's new
What's new

LeBlonde 19 Heavy Duty

no704

Aluminum
Acquired this relic a little while back. Looking to get it up and making chips. Does anyone have any information on it or the Torq-Qua-Matic Transmission? I would love to find manuals for her.

Thanks,
Neil
lb4.jpglb5.jpglb3.jpglb2.jpglb1.jpg

sorry about the sideways pics, cant seem to get them to spin.

Unlikely to be manuals - too old. There were 18 and 20" NE machines, if 18, yours predates 1920 - and if a 20, considerably more before 1920.
Here somewhat smaller from 191117 HD LB 1911.jpg

Can email 1911 catalog if you want to Private Message me that address - do put Le Blond 1911 in subject line so I'll have a clue of what is wanted

Took the pics out for a spin :D
lb1.jpglb2.jpgSpindle Speeds.jpglb5.jpgNational Defense Program.jpg

Found a mention of The Torg Electric Mfg. Co. listed under expenditures for National Defense May 1941.
There are other mentions of the company in publications from 1938 to 1942. Those publications are copy right protected and not in the public domain for viewing.
John

Good odds those publications are in fact public domain.

"And furthermore..

If part of a package of goods paid-for by Federal funds AND NOT "classified" for National security reasons, they are also "property of" the US Taxpayer, so near-as- dammit "public domain". See NASA's copious pubs for example.

Back to basics.. wadda we actually have here? Sniff test sez maybe a vanilla 4-speed gear box.

Where's the "electric" connection? Is it just an ordinary gearbox that happened to be a product of a firm with "electric" in their name?

Or might it have one or more electric clutches a la Cotal, France and motorcar transmissions of similar vintage?

Mark One Eyeball can tell the tale. No 'elctric power, that's out.

But preselector off internally generated hydraulics, a la Laycock de Normanville might still "be there".

"This could get interesting?"

Preselector gearbox - Wikipedia

Wrong one. I was a little surprised too. The Squire sort of resembled an MG TC but way nicer, contemporary with the Jaguar SS but classier. Had a preselector but I can't remember which kind. Maybe as unheard-of as the car itself ...

Re-read. I was editing. Got the one you were thinking of, but it had no details. Wilson pre-selector is the most likely suspect.

The Brazil-Straker is the odd one as transmissions go.

Could be, but we might be getting off-track. I seriously doubt they'd put one of those on a lathe :D

Not so fast, there!

MANY makers - LeBlond included - did very nearly exactly that as they moved to servo-shift and hydra-shift and several other names for a similar rig.

Smooth shifts of "geared head" lathes on simpler operator command input with minimal multiple-lever monkey-motion.

All of those surely worked OK when NEW and in good order. It paid for itself in productivity gains and reduced errors. It is only a problem for us NOW when we acquire it worn or f**ked-up and have to try to restore the function on small money for parts gone generally, not ALWAYS, "unobtanium" class.

This one? Old enough to probably be dirt-simple by comparison, well documented, poorly so .. or not AT ALL. There may be a clutch mechanism. Or not-even.

Mark One Eyeball, a bit of fiddling, it could easily come good with minimal effort. If even it is not already "good" just as it is.

Well, that ran off the tracks quick!
Anybody have something useful?

Not as common as all that, is it?

So no - nothing you can UTILIZE if you will not do YOUR bit, ALSO.

"Instant gratification" is three doors down the hall. The office with nought but cobwebs.

:)

You, not we, HAVE the item under-roof. You now have a number of possibilities.

Play with it. See if yah can sort out how it works. If not, take a cover off and post more fotos if it ain't obviously simpler than it might be.

Our hands and arms are too short to reach out and touch it.

Our collective minds, OTOH?

It's PM. Don't expect a lot of limits on what is known. Or can be made to be known, again.

No one here has "seen it all". All here have seen "something" not all others have seen.

Works a right treat... if yah but take advantage of that sharing.

Cheap enough, after all...

Go to "Settings" top right of screen in the gray bar and click on it.

New page opens w/r/t your screen name.
Scroll down the left hand side. Under "My Settings" look for "Edit Ignore List" and click on it.
Follow directions, Life is Good :D

Go to "Settings" top right of screen in the gray bar and click on it.

New page opens w/r/t your screen name.
Scroll down the left hand side. Under "My Settings" look for "Edit Ignore List" and click on it.
Follow directions, Life is Good :D

Did that. "no704 has now been added to your ignore list".

Now what?

Remain ignorant whilst we wait for another rare transmission to show up?

Who gains?

Back