What's new
What's new

Left Hand Taps

J&H

Aluminum
Why are there no good left hand taps, or am I just not looking in the right spots? Doesn't anyone make any decent left hand spiral flute taps, I'm looking for 5/8-11 and it seems like the only option is a spiral point plug chamfer tap. I can't even find anything other than cheap ones like Hertel. Even tooling reps say nothing exists.

What gives? I'm sure left hand 5/8-11 is done somewhere in production all day every day...

Mark

You don't say if you're on manual or CNC, but It would be easy enough to thread mill it.

CNC lathe, no live tooling. Thread milling would be an option, but it would have to be a separate operation on the mill. Hence, the search for a quality spiral flute 5/8-11 tap as that would be the most desirable solution.

Left hand machine taps aren't easy to find. S/P plugs are out there, but spiral flute leftys are scarce. 4fl Hand taps are relatively easy to find.

I bought a 5/16-24LH and a 1/2-20LH from OSG a while back. They had them, but they weren't listed anywhere. Those were spiral point plugs though, I didn't inquire about S/F.

Have to call the big names- OSG, Emuge, Balax. They'll make one if they don't have it, but it gets pricey.

Left hand machine taps aren't easy to find. S/P plugs are out there, but spiral flute leftys are scarce. 4fl Hand taps are relatively easy to find.

I bought a 5/16-24LH and a 1/2-20LH from OSG a while back. They had them, but they weren't listed anywhere. Those were spiral point plugs though, I didn't inquire about S/F.

Have to call the big names- OSG, Emuge, Balax. They'll make one if they don't have it, but it gets pricey.

Yes, I'm sure the "big users" get large qty's custom made from the top line makers, so their cost's are much less than needing (3) for example.

Try finding LH in the oddball gun barrel sizes...jeesh

We have had left hand form taps made by North American Tool. Website is natool.com. They can make just about any tap

North American, +1.

I needed an M6 x 0.35, I think it took about a week to get.

If you do not see what you want in the McMaster catalog or web site, it is always an option to call them. They do have sources, probably a lot more than you and I together will ever know about.

Not sure where you looked, but here are a couple OSG and Emuge.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...87924494+4288236205+4288233863&searchterm=tap

Oops, those ^ are left hand spiral, right hand thread.

There are some on McMaster, but you would have to call or email to see if any of them are quality name brands.

Why not turn them if you have a cnc lathe?

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/53341426

Or are we missing some information?

Well, first off... That's a right hand bar. But they do make similar bars in left hand. Second, that 3/8 bar uses a 2IR insert which they don't make big enough to cut an 11 pitch thread. You'd have to go to a 3IL to get one big enough to cut an 11 pitch thread. Smallest bar I see that fits a 3IL insert is 1/2" shank, and you're not going to fit that in the drilled hole. Third, you're not going to single point holes like that in 500 parts and make any money.. dealing with the chips and what not.

They were able to make you a Left hand spiral flute tap? How bad was the cost on something like a custom tap?
No, it wasn't a LH S/F. Normal plug, just a special pitch.

But I'm sure they can make what you want, no idea what they'll charge. I can probably lookup what I paid, but it was about 10 years ago and I doubt it would be very useful to you...

No, it wasn't a LH S/F. Normal plug, just a special pitch.

But I'm sure they can make what you want, no idea what they'll charge. I can probably lookup what I paid, but it was about 10 years ago and I doubt it would be very useful to you...

I found their website and they have an awesome quote tool where you can design whatever tap you want and submit for a quote. I did that and had them quote 5 taps. We'll see what the cost is, but this might have been the solution I was searching for. Thanks!

Well, first off... That's a right hand bar. But they do make similar bars in left hand. Second, that 3/8 bar uses a 2IR insert which they don't make big enough to cut an 11 pitch thread. You'd have to go to a 3IL to get one big enough to cut an 11 pitch thread. Smallest bar I see that fits a 3IL insert is 1/2" shank, and you're not going to fit that in the drilled hole. Third, you're not going to single point holes like that in 500 parts and make any money.. dealing with the chips and what not.

Yes, I realize it will be slower... but how much slower than trying to source the tap you want?

Right hand or not, you just start at the "end" of the thread and feed out to produce a LH thread. Also, depending on how your machine is, you could run the bar upside down or right side up and change the spindle (CW or CCW) to match what you are doing.

Buuutt, if it don't fit, it don't fit. :o

Back