What's new
What's new

LEGO Machine Shop

nwbricks

Plastic
Hello, I was directed to post here by a long-time machinist friend. Apologies if this is the wrong category!

I've been building a LEGO machine shop for the past month or so. It started with a few basic machines to fill an engine maintenance shed and i've slowly been adding more and more. I'm planning to release instructions for them all once I've rebuilt them digitally.

I've posted the images individually below, or you can see the full gallery over on imgur.

CNC based on the Haas VF2-SS. Currently working on motorising this one. An un-geared 90's era lego motor (part 2838) apparently gets up to 4100 rpm. So not quite 12000 but not too shabby for a bit of plastic.
apSgoEp.jpg

Bridgeport milling machine
REPXY1F.jpg

Shaper based on an old Cincinnati model
lXB0Ze5.jpg

Generic lathe - this was the first one I did
cuvePJq.jpg

Drill press
MkycNmV.jpg

Grinder (+ bonus big boy tap wrench)
22a1NRm.jpg

General shop bits - workbench, cabinets, Henry vac
xOUTvf2.jpg

Welding cart
K3mv8mW.jpg

Plenty more to come. If you have a personal favourite machine, let me know and I'll try and build it. A couple people have pointed me towards gundrills, which would be awesome. I also want a vertical broaching machine and some woodworking stuff like a bandsaw, belt sander, etc.

Cheers!

forgive my ignorance-are these made from actual lego parts ,or have you somehow made other shapes?-these are beautiful machines,to say the least!!

Very cool!

Lego had a big hand in steering my career/skill path. I've wanted to be a machinist since I was 9 years old. How I would be one changed a little as I grew up, but one of the first thoughts I had before having other ambitions was that I would be a machinist FOR Lego.

How much money
Don

For parts or instructions dude? (Or both!)

Very cool!

Lego had a big hand in steering my career/skill path. I've wanted to be a machinist since I was 9 years old. How I would be one changed a little as I grew up, but one of the first thoughts I had before having other ambitions was that I would be a machinist FOR Lego.

Oh man, same :) I either wanted to design cars or build them... ended up doing graphic design but that love never dies!

Cool!

And now we need to invent specialty LEGOs like a T-slot table, Bport head, lathe chuck, etc. :D

Haha, thanks man! Right on. Saying that, its amazing how versatile some pieces are. 10-year-old me's mind would be blown by some of the new elements!

Very cool, my absolute favorite toy as a boy. I spend DAYS building with these in the loft above our garage where my parents let me keep my kits set up and build towns and whatever.

I still love LEGO, I build kits while I watch television.

I would be down for buying kits with plans from you if you wanted to sell them. I would like to put these on a shelf in my office at the shop.

Very cool, my absolute favorite toy as a boy. I spend DAYS building with these in the loft above our garage where my parents let me keep my kits set up and build towns and whatever.

I still love LEGO, I build kits while I watch television.

I would be down for buying kits with plans from you if you wanted to sell them. I would like to put these on a shelf in my office at the shop.

I just bought my first house, no kids or wife, so obviously the back bedroom is now a LEGO room ;) I'd love to release these as custom sets, bundled with parts etc. It'd probably be a made-to-order deal rather than keeping them in stock, but it's great to know the interest is there for sure!

This is like the ultimate acid test - the fact you guys like em means the world!

Huh, the rules say no talk of toy machines, but not machine toys. So what would happen if he were to paint GRIZZLY on the side of that little lathe of his? :scratchchin:

Its funny, I grew up with erector sets and hand tools, I thought Legos led to the demise of mechanical skills. From the earlier comments I guess I was very wrong.

Its funny, I grew up with erector sets and hand tools, I thought Legos led to the demise of mechanical skills. From the earlier comments I guess I was very wrong.

My favorite was always Capsela, right up until I irreparably stripped out my "speed reducer gearbox" trying to use it as a "speed increaser gearbox" for my propellor car.

I looked it up, and it appears to have been re-created as IQ Key. Might need to buy a set for my son, he's almost at the age where he could start to appreciate it.

To the OP, very nice job! I never made anything nearly that polished just with "fiddly bits"

Huh, the rules say no talk of toy machines, but not machine toys. So what would happen if he were to paint GRIZZLY on the side of that little lathe of his? :scratchchin:

:D :D

On that note though, I was actually thinking of getting some decals made. Especially for the CNC!

It's a funny thing, I think LEGO in the 80s and 90s was the foundation of a career for a lot of people. It definitely helps with problem solving logic, being mechanically-minded and son on but unfortunately, its not the case so much these days. Don't get me wrong there's still a LOT of creativity, but its been watered down. There's pre-moulded cockpits for planes and trains, as opposed to figuring out how to make your own out of bricks. The main thing for me though is the electronics - the old 90's motors, you connect a 9v power supply and press a button and you can see how it all works. These days everything is bluetooth, app-controlled pixie magic which is cool, but not as easy for kids to get their heads round - they just accept it works and move on.

That's another topic for another day though I think!

To the OP, very nice job! I never made anything nearly that polished just with "fiddly bits"

Thanks a lot dude! :)

I had those too :D. IMO any kind of construction toy helps kids gain a desire to build stuff. The biggest problem I see with kids is the idea that playtime is different than work. I think it's better that kids learn to enjoy work at an early age and learn the "endless possibilities" associated with being able to build stuff. Lego does a good job of that, teaching kids that they can take raw stuff, turn it into something cool, and have fun while doing it.

Not all kids that get their start in Legos end up as machinists, but I guarantee that they all have a lot more practical and inventive outlook on the world. Machining was a good fit for me because in addition to building cool stuff, machining gives me a healthy and productive use of my OCD tenancies, and you don't have to deal with people all the time to do it.

Back