What's new
What's new

Leinen Lathe but which model? Help required.

marcsO

Hot Rolled
I am looking at this lathe, by all accounts its a good make and the lathes are well engineered, appreciate parts are scarce being 50 years+ old but willing to gamble that items can be made if required.

There were a few models and I'm keen to ensure its metric thread cutting and metric calibration on dials and has the gearbox to do this not having to use change wheels. can anyone tell from the pics which model it is I've been told its a MLZ4S which is supposedly the metric screw cutting gearbox version but having looked at pictures on the web I'm not convinced. It also has a complete set of change wheels which also adds to my doubting mind.

Any pointers?

lathe-leinen-L80911 (1).jpglathe-leinen-L80911 (2).jpglathe-leinen-L80911 (19).jpg

I have some Leinen watch lathes, but have never seen one of their engine lathes in the USA. They certainly made good kit, so condition and completeness will decide the value. Tony does not show very many variations of the engine lathes, but none have a flimsy-looking tailstock like the one in post #1. The thread change gear chart shows mm threads with no 127 gear, indicating the lead screw is metric. This lathe does not seem to have a quick change threading box, so you will need a full set of change gears and have to set them up for each pitch you want to cut. The lathe may have a separate change wheel chart for inch threads, but there is no closeup picture. I suspect the inch threads will call for a 127 tooth gear.

Leinen L4Z, LZ43 & ZK3 - Earlier Types

Larry

Yes I think you are right on all counts, the gearbox is also roughly flush with the gear cover which is not what the threading gearbox looks like which sticks out considerably more in the pics from Tony's site - spot on with the tailstock, that is deffo not original with the wheel on the end and that weird looking Eiffel Tower look! May pass on this as its not cheap either.

Back