What's new
What's new

Levelling a machine on four feet

Dave022

Plastic
Both my lathe and milling machine sit on stands with four adjustable feet. I am having to move them again and the last time I levelled them it was a painful experience, with the end result being more luck than judgement.

Without just building new stands with three levelling points; is there actually a correct method of levelling off four points?

Leveling machines is just an art perfected over time with experience. Four pads is just a matter of getting them on the ground and starting off with a 6" level then fine tuning with a 12" master level. Only having four pads it sounds pretty small so jacking the screws shouldn't be too hard.

Should have come help me level my Johnford SDMC (Junkford) with 164 pads!

To level 4 pads put your level on a diagonal between 2 pads, then do the other two to remove rock.

Hardinge, recommends adjusting with 3 feet, then adjusting the right rear foot, to keep the machine from rocking. But, the machine is balanced that way, may not work with others.

Most hardinge beds are three point kinematic mounts to the cabinet. Cabinet only had one extra tab foot in the right rear, just to keep the
cabinet from getting rocky.

less than four points its kind of not even a conversation, as in there's nothing to do as there isn't any worry of twist.

All four feet should take a similar load, I disagree with it level with 3 then use the fourth to stop rocking for a lathe. The might might work on a solid squat shape like a mill base, but not on a lathe of any size where it will twist under its own weight. Get them all in contact and level across the ways (with the level on parallels on the ways, not on the tops of the v's) at the headstock and tailstock. Its nice to have it level in the Z as well. Do a few iterations and and you're done. Its a bunch of bending over and wrenching, but its a pretty simple process.

Back