What's new
What's new

Lietz 10” optical dividing head information needed

Daveinjax

Plastic
I bought a Lietz optical dividing head at auction on a whim. It looks to be hardly used and other than needing a light in great condition. Does anyone have a manual for it ? A pdf would be perfect but I’d pay a little for a paper version. My other question is what in the heck would this be useful for ? OMG ! is it heavy ! I can’t even get it out of my suv until a friend comes by later. I was really looking for a simple indexer with a couple of plates but saw this and said what the heck !

I bought a Lietz optical dividing head at auction on a whim. It looks to be hardly used and other than needing a light in great condition. Does anyone have a manual for it ? A pdf would be perfect but I’d pay a little for a paper version. My other question is what in the heck would this be useful for ? OMG ! is it heavy ! I can’t even get it out of my suv until a friend comes by later. I was really looking for a simple indexer with a couple of plates but saw this and said what the heck !

It is used to put those marks on the side of coins like a dimes or quarters. Not sure why they don't do it on pennies and nickles. Must need to be something significant in the currency. :rolleyes5:

Oh JK. It is for evenly dividing a work piece around an axis point. Primarily, I use mine for making gears or dials. But it could also be used for bolt circles and even those little marks on sides of coins. :)

Best Regards,
Bob

I was just trying to imagine what it would be used for in my hobby shop. I don’t think my worn Millrite is going to be able to take advantage of arc second accuracy. I’m guessing it’s major function in my shop will be taking up space on a shelf.
I’ll keep looking for a deal on a Kalamazoo universal indexer.

I've never considered the optical heads as being built for actual metal machining. They are Jewels, not rocks.

They are very useful for INSPECTION after a precision machining operation.

But considering the price you may have paid for the instrument. Have at it! I would. ;-)

I have exactly $100 in it. The trip there was for the other items I bought and actually have a need for. I’ll collect a manual and I guess build a fixture for any use I run across. It just seemed cool so I bought it without thinking about what I’d actually do with it. Gears are a real possibility. I guess I could space the flutes I cut in barrels to a couple of arc seconds :). I’m laughing at myself for being so impulsive.

Thank you ! First thing in the manual it talks about two lifting rods. One of the first things I’ve got to do is make some. This thing is a beast !

Back