What's new
What's new

Lifting a mill, forklift under ram?

sandiapaul

Titanium
Tried searching for this but came up empty...the question is is it OK to lift a B'port type mill by putting the forklift tines under the ram?

I have certainly seen it done before, but is it OK? I am expecting delivery of a mill tomorrow and the guy who runs the lift here says that how he wants to do it.

Tried searching for this but came up empty...the question is is it OK to lift a B'port type mill by putting the forklift tines under the ram?

I have certainly seen it done before, but is it OK? I am expecting delivery of a mill tomorrow and the guy who runs the lift here says that how he wants to do it.

Perhaps ignorance is bliss, but that's the only way we ever did it....new or otherwise. Use wood packing to protect the ways of ram.

Perhaps ignorance is bliss, but that's the only way we ever did it....new or otherwise. Use wood packing to protect the ways of ram.

Yes, it's ok...on a Bridgeport it's the safest way to do it actually. Usually takes 2 inch lumber on one fork and 1 inch on the other to balance the load.

Yes, it's ok...on a Bridgeport it's the safest way to do it actually. Usually takes 2 inch lumber on one fork and 1 inch on the other to balance the load.

That method perfectly viable.

But, the *safest* way might be to put the forks completely together side-to-side and rig it from overhead thru the eyebolt with slings....this way it can't come off unless a component fails or you fail to tilt back enough. I always like a C-clamp or 2 on the fork(s) to keep the slings where I intended.

Use a helper as it can twist like a windchime when lifted off the ground.

But, the *safest* way might be to put the forks completely together side-to-side and rig it from overhead thru the eyebolt with slings....this way it can't come off unless a component fails or you fail to tilt back enough. I always like a C-clamp or 2 on the fork(s) to keep the slings where I intended.

Hmmm...one upmanship on "safest"....well, how about making a 4 x 4 foot pallet for it out of 2 inch thick apitong, bolting the base (with 5/8 bolts) to the skid and lifting via the skid ? :rolleyes: ;)

Bottom line is literally tens of thousands of Bridgeports have been lifted over the decades by the ram without incident.

Hmmm...one upmanship on "safest"....well, how about making a 4 x 4 foot pallet for it out of 2 inch thick apitong, bolting the base (with 5/8 bolts) to the skid and lifting via the skid ? :rolleyes: ;)

Bottom line is literally tens of thousands of Bridgeports have been lifted over the decades by the ram without incident.

Back