What's new
What's new

Lights for Shop - 14 Foot Ceilings

markz528

Hot Rolled
I tried to search for some results on the topic but did not find anything.

New shop - 5600 square foot. 14 foot ceilings. What lighting would you recommend and where would you buy them?

I am targeting 55 foot candles in general areas and 70 foot candles in precision areas.

I have some of these on 12 ft ceilings. They do a pretty good job. At the price, you could buy a pack of 4 and try them out. Which is what I did. They are chinese so probably no parts, and its likely if one goes out you will have to replace the whole unit. But they are not expensive and put out a good bit of light. I have 2 extras just in case I want more light or need to replace.

AntLux 110W 8FT LED Shop Lights Ultra Slim LED Wraparound, 12600LM, 5000K, 8 Foot Strip Light, Flush Mount Garage Office Warehouse Ceiling Lighting Fixture, 8 Foot Fluorescent Tube Replacement, 4 Pack - - Amazon.com

My employer just re-fitted the main shop (15' ceilings) with LED hi-bay fixtures that are about 2' square. They are available in different color temps. I'd guess they're on 10' or 12' centers and the result is amazing. Excellent coverage, no shadows. I've not been there much recently, out with a shoulder replacement, but if you're interested I can find out the mfg/model and actual spacing.

Ok, I was pretty 'out of it' for a few days after my shoulder job and I don't remember where I saw those 2X2 fixtures! The fixtures recently installed at work are more like 2' X 4', 6 lamp T8 LED. They installed similar 4 lamp fixtures, where the ceilings drop to ten feet. The photo is misleading, because the center row of crossways 'lights' are actually skylights, not electric fixtures.

Anyway, the light is great, the employees are happy. These are 4000K units, other temps are available. They came from Prime Lights, Florence, TX. Model Stingray 6XL. The 4 lamp fixtures were 3500K and cost $129 each. I didn't find a price quote for the 6 lamp HiBay,

HiBay.jpg

Ok, I was pretty 'out of it' for a few days after my shoulder job and I don't remember where I saw those 2X2 fixtures! The fixtures recently installed at work are more like 2' X 4', 6 lamp T8 LED. They installed similar 4 lamp fixtures, where the ceilings drop to ten feet. The photo is misleading, because the center row of crossways 'lights' are actually skylights, not electric fixtures.

Anyway, the light is great, the employees are happy. These are 4000K units, other temps are available. They came from Prime Lights, Florence, TX. Model Stingray 6XL. The 4 lamp fixtures were 3500K and cost $129 each. I didn't find a price quote for the 6 lamp HiBay,

View attachment 334313

Awesome! Thank you!

Bought a 2-pack from Home Depot this month last year. Saved the receipt. Tested one and went back to buy more packs.
So bright that I removed one of the 8' fixtures. Benefit was also removing the old noisy ballast.
The glass is frosted and not clear. It's bright at 4500-5000. It was the only choice the store had
at the time and I thought I was going to be screwed. Not so.

I was reading on the forum at the time of the purchase about mid-line support pieces to prevent the bulb from sagging.
My pack didn't have them and I thought I'm going to have a sag. Not so.

Price was approx $48 for two 8' bulbs.

. . .I was reading on the forum at the time of the purchase about mid-line support pieces to prevent the bulb from sagging.
My pack didn't have them and I thought I'm going to have a sag. Not so. Price was approx $48 for two 8' bulbs.

There is a huge difference in mechanical quality among these replacement tubes. The first 8' lamps we tried were so flimsy they sagged almost 2" under their own weight! I was afraid they might not stay in the fixture. The next ones we got sagged about half that, but we had to support the center or they would fail within a month when mounted in a location with vibration from a large ventilator. The best ones, and the most costly, are rigid and don't sag at all. Not a problem that I know of for 4' tubes.

There is a huge difference in mechanical quality among these replacement tubes. The first 8' lamps we tried were so flimsy they sagged almost 2" under their own weight! I was afraid they might not stay in the fixture. The next ones we got sagged about half that, but we had to support the center or they would fail within a month when mounted in a location with vibration from a large ventilator. The best ones, and the most costly, are rigid and don't sag at all. Not a problem that I know of for 4' tubes.

I agree that 4" are not to worry about. If the "not so" sounds wrong it's because it is. The sag in the middle of a 8' bulb is at 0.132.

In nature the strongest structure is supposed to be a cylinder standing upright. But sideways the diameter, wall thickness, and material strength and weight are there.

The previous florescent bulbs were glass and had a larger diameter. They sagged a little.
I've got a 2' footer that is above my lathe. It's body is plastic.

Costco often has four foot led lights that look like two tube fixtures. Sell for $19.99 or some such. I think they have outlets at one end to daisy chain. Costco is good about returns of failed stuff with no recipe.
Harbor fright is overpriced for theirs.
Bill D

. . .In nature the strongest structure is supposed to be a cylinder standing upright. But sideways the diameter, wall thickness, and material strength and weight are there. . .

Yeah, the sagging tubes we had were a semi-circle of very thin aluminum into which was snapped a rounded plastic cover. The LED strips were two piece, soldered together in the middle. That joint was the most common failure point for the lamps subjected to a bit of vibration. We were limited in options because our 52 US made fixtures had the HO sockets mounted 90 deg off from 'standard'. No problem for a fluorescent tube, but all LED replacements must be mounted facing down so finding tubes with rotating end caps was a chore. Quality wasn't there.

Back