What's new
What's new

Is it likely possible to replace these lathe dial parts?

Webley91

Cast Iron
I know this is probably a long-shot but here goes.

Is it likely that a source could be found to replace the following lathe dial parts?

I added them in the photo using MS paint to give a better idea of what I am describing. They were two small pointers made of spring steel. One was painted black and one white. They fitted onto the ridge shown in the photo.

These were on the carriage traverse handwheel on a lathe at work made by an obscure manufacturer. It's an Indian made lathe by a company called Mysore Kirloskar.

I used the lathe recently after some co-workers had been using it over the weekend. When I looked at the dial I noticed that these were missing. When I asked them about it, all of them replied that they didn't know what I was talking about.

These didn't just fall off somehow, they would have had to have been removed for whatever reason and then lost. I am thinking that they popped them off with a screwdriver in order to re-position them and never got round to putting them back. In over six years that I have been using this machine, the pointers have never accidentally "fallen off" before. Although the lathe belongs to my employer, I am a little annoyed about this. One of them has obviously lost the pointers and now claims to know nothing about it.

Thanks for any advice on where (if anywhere) replacements may be found.

Attachments

• lathedial2.jpg
    lathedial2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 525
The make was in my first post, it's Mysore Kirloskar. Unusually, this lathe doesn't have a model number on it anywhere that I have seen. It is simply branded "MK"

It is certainly a very big company. I suppose you need to establish which machine you have. There are Indian firms on the net selling spares for these lathes, but you would need a model to make enquiries.

I'd like to bet they would be helpful if you enquired.

Steve

How they were afixed to the machine is important... Anything can be made.
Were they movable or fixed at one position? fixed and turning with the dial ring?
Perhaps a photo from the front angle.
Nice job of adding them to photo.

These didn't just fall off somehow, they would have had to have been removed for whatever reason and then lost. I am thinking that they popped them off with a screwdriver in order to re-position them and never got round to putting them back. In over six years that I have been using this machine, the pointers have never accidentally "fallen off" before. Although the lathe belongs to my employer, I am a little annoyed about this. One of them has obviously lost the pointers and now claims to know nothing about it.

I am a little annoyed about this.

Annoyed? I would have never guessed.

But I know what you mean. It baffles me when people do things bafflingly stupid, and then won't own up to it.

Thanks for the replies.

I did find one today on the floor by the machine. So now I am missing one. It most likely got swept up with the chips.

So here is a photo which is much easier than trying to describe exactly what they look like and how they fit on. They were movable by simply pushing them along the groove.

Obviously "anything can be made" applies, and I appreciate this as someone who uses machine tools. However, it looks like it would be challening to go about making something like this as a one-off. I am thinking that it would need to be folded from a suitable steel and then tempered. Am I on the right track here?

lathe_dial_2.jpg

lathe_dial_3.jpg

TO THE OP: before spending some time writing up a more complicated proposed solution and possibly wasting your time and mine: are you satisfied with the responses you have so far? And woud you be willing to put a few hours into a solution or is that too much for a lathe used at work as opposed to your personal lathe?

Denis

Back