Lil OT: Shop speakers..........whats out there? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Speaker size and type needs to be paired to your amp- I run a pretty big 200watt per channel amp in my shop, with 4 big 3way home speakers from garage sales mounted up high, but I like loud music, and I run loud machines. To hear the music over the power hammer, you need volume.

But for more normal people, I really like the Polk Audio Atrium outdoor speakers- I have a set of atrium 4's outside my house, for rocking out in the hot tub, and they are great- reasonable price, sound good, tough as nails. Rated at up to 80 watts per channel, although I think thats a bit optimistic, but 50 or 60 watts no problem.
    I got em on Amazon for about 90 bucks the pair. Polk also makes 2 bigger sizes- the 5 and the 6- also both not that expensive on Amazon.

Seems like outdoor speakers in the shop are a pretty good choice, too- they are gonna be more resistant to smoke, dust, oil, and coolant and swarf than new Klipsch Horns would be.

2. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I was kidding about Klipsch.

Some of you people like spending most of your time in a disco/rock concert ?

4. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For some reason, typical home speakers are just way to bright and fatiguing for my shop environment. My solution was to use JBL speakers like their Model L19 which has a knob to reduce the treble. Sounds great after "Tuning".

Just bought a pair of JBL 4333's in need of reconing. These will need more amp than I have so I'll be shopping for amps as well.

Chuck
    Burbank CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

Yup. If its too loud, youre too old.

7. Likes BoxcarPete, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Look at computer speaker sets, some of them are decent and not overpriced.
    That's what I did in my home shop. I bought a computer speaker set with a subwoofer off Amazon for under $50 and just plug it into my phone's 3.5mm jack. Works awesome. I'll either stream music via Pandora or Amazon or just listen to what's loaded on my phone. I never miss a phone call or text because the audio shuts down automatically when the phone rings.

Edit: I just looked it up. I bought the speakers back in 2011 and they are still going strong.

9. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    Yup. If its too loud, youre too old.

When it's loud, I wear hearing protection, not blow the radio on top of the noise....

Good thing we don't have "universal healthcare" yet....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hell yeah! \m/ \m/ Turn it up!

12. Likes Kevin T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I cruise CL free section often, you would be surprised what people get rid of. I picked up a set of 4 large speakers from a church organ, made by Allen Organ. Each speaker is a nice 3 way with 15" woofer all in good shape. I also have a set of Altec Lansing a7-500 that used to be in the shop, now in the living room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A pair of lascalas fill a nice sized shop with sound with only 1-10 watts of power going in but the OMG price tag.
    A pair of the old BIC venturi 6 are halfway efficient and capable of filling a room cleanly so they are my second favorite old school speaker.
    Recently bought one of these add ons https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-REQ...a-492064102689 and tuned the shop with True RTA and REW on a laptop for just about no money.
    Big difference with a only slight curve being tossed at the system.
    Room size matters, efficiency matters, sound pressure level wanted matters, speaker placement matters.
    For every speaker out there you will find a fan and a hater....It's too bright, it's dull and boring, it has no bottom kick, its has too much punch, phase is not clean in the mid......
    Just as with a mate all will have a different taste of what is sweet and what is sour. Add to that sometimes your taste changes over time.
    I can tell you what I like but no way to know if it is what you would like so it's sort of a crap shoot.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When it's loud, I wear hearing protection, not blow the radio on top of the noise....

Good thing we don't have "universal healthcare" yet....
    I wear foam earplugs when I am working close to a machine, or grinding, or similar. Which is why I need a loud stereo- so I can still hear it thru the hearing protection. I still have quite decent hearing. Sometimes I cant hear my wife, but I dont think thats an ear problem.

16. Likes Mark Rand, Philabuster, Graham Gott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have two pairs of old JBL's with new foam and a JVC JR-S300 my dad bought new running on Pandora.

It's a huge improvement over the bookshelf setup I had for awhile.

Normally it's down pretty low, but it's nice to rattle the walls a bit when I'm in the mood. I think it's 80W/channel, but definitely more than enough for the 60x66x20 area it's in.

18. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I have two pairs of old JBL's with new foam and a JVC JR-S300 my dad bought new running on Pandora.

It's a huge improvement over the bookshelf setup I had for awhile.

Normally it's down pretty low, but it's nice to rattle the walls a bit when I'm in the mood. I think it's 80W/channel, but definitely more than enough for the 60x66x20 area it's in.
    Yes this is me too! I just need to figure out how to get to 80 Watts output from an ipad with a 3.5mm headphone jack or maybe bluetooth!

Thinking about trying one of these for 30 bucks!

51ddnjin4el._sl1000_.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    Yes this is me too! I just need to figure out how to get to 80 Watts output from an ipad with a 3.5mm headphone jack or maybe bluetooth!

Thinking about trying one of these for 30 bucks!

51ddnjin4el._sl1000_.jpg
    I haven't bought anything from Pyle in a long time but my understanding is that they've pretty much hit bottom. Decades ago when I was in high school they were a good or at least popular upgrade for car audio systems. These days they import whatever crap checks the boxes and put their name on it.

I have one of these that I like. Bluetooth works well and sound quality is pretty good for $40.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QRRQDDW...p_mob_ap_share

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Problem I have is I want to mount the reciever/amp up on a shelf out of the way and have it plugged into a switched outlet so it goes off with the lights.
    Most such stuff made in the last 30 years or so does not work that way. Turn off is fine. But to turn it on you have to turn on the wall power then go to the radio and turn it on seperately. Meaning the radio has to be down where it can be reached or at least the remote has to be stashed somewhere where it could get hit by flying chips etc.
    I also notice many radios sold today do not have antenna or ground connections.
    Bil lD

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't it kind if de rigeur to have an old stereo / speaker combination that looks like it was found in a skip bin for the workshop?. In the 1970's it would have been a valve AM radio bare chassis with live top cap valves to electrocute the odd passing rat. These days it would be a brushed silver 1970's integrated amp-tuner going to some wood veneer, paper cone three way speakers with bonus points for having some component that an audiophile would give their firstborn to possess and lovingly restore for their mantelpiece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SAG 180 View Post
    Isn't it kind if de rigeur to have an old stereo / speaker combination that looks like it was found in a skip bin for the workshop?. In the 1970's it would have been a valve AM radio bare chassis with live top cap valves to electrocute the odd passing rat. These days it would be a brushed silver 1970's integrated amp-tuner going to some wood veneer, paper cone three way speakers with bonus points for having some component that an audiophile would give their firstborn to possess and lovingly restore for their mantelpiece.
    Naah, I threw my 8 track out years ago. At least 3 years ago.

24. Likes SAG 180 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have some decent bookshelf speakers hooked up to one of those tiny amps you see for cheap all over. Best thing I did was buy a Chromecast audio device. They went on close-out earlier this year for $20. So much better than bluetooth as it connects to the network and just uses your phone as the remote control - audio never drops out or sounds like crap because you get slightly out of range. They are still available, but there are probably alternatives that work the same way for cheaper.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SAG 180 View Post
    Exactly. I've been keeping my eyes open for a pair of Bic Venturi 6 that Carbide Bob mentioned above. There are some out there, look in decent shape, but the sellers are all looking at each others' asking price and they're all dreaming. I had a pair in college, based on a recommendation from my old man, blew them out doing some stupid shit, really regret that now.

I'm a little intrigued by the support shown for Moonlight's post about Cerwin-Vegas, but I haven't dug into it to see what would be a good fit for my pre-amp and amplifier (200 watts per channel). Recommendations welcome.

27. Likes SAG 180 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post
    I'm a little intrigued by the support shown for Moonlight's post about Cerwin-Vegas, but I haven't dug into it to see what would be a good fit for my pre-amp and amplifier (200 watts per channel). Recommendations welcome.
    Cerwin-Vega makes a great speaker with great bass. So does Infinity, but lacks on bass compared to Cerwin Vega which makes up for it with better highs.

I suggested the Polk Audio speakers because they give you a lot for a small package and good price tag,arguably the best bookshelf speaker you can buy for the price IMO. It's too bad that there are no more stores like Circuit City around where they would let you listen to the speakers before buying.
    Back in the day there was a really high end store in Flint,Mi which had a soundproof room and you could crank them up! It was great.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having worked as a professional in the TV and audio/visual field and having built professional facilities where the audio must be monitored in a manner that would expose any problems, I can say that I find much of the hype in the audio field is just that, HYPE. I have challenged those who claim that they can hear the difference between a carefully chosen, $150 pair of speakers (that's $75 each) and a pair that cost $1000, $2000 or more. They CAN'T. They always say that something was wrong when they can't even consistently pick the same speakers in successive BLIND tests. First they pick the $150 ones then the $1000 plus pair and from there it is just a random mess with no clear pattern. They say I cheated or ran the test improperly. Truth is they CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE. But they continue to say they can, but only when they KNOW which pair they are listening to. Then the problems and virtues come out very clearly in their hearing (actually in their minds only).

That being said, when I last purchased a pair of speakers for my personal use here in my office, I went to the local Best Buy. Best Buy had an isle dedicated to speakers. REAL speakers, not the powered junk with the built in amplifiers. Not USB. Not WIFI. Not Bluetooth. Real, plain old, wired speakers that do not require a power connection. They had a set-up where you could hear about 10 or 12 of those speakers with a switch so you can hear them using the same audio source and amplifier. Yes, you can hear some differences. Much of that is just a matter of tonal value: more bass, different response curve, etc. I think it was the second least expensive pair that I settled on. They were clearly better than the cheapest ones, but there was not that much difference between them and the high priced ones and there were different differences between each of those higher priced ones and the pair that I choose.

My point is, you can spend a lot more and not get much more in terms of quality. And, as far as I am concerned, an A-B test, using the same audio and amplifier, is the only way to judge the differences. That set-up at Best Buy made that easy. And while I know that I did not get the very best speakers that were available, I also know that there isn't a lot of difference and I saved many hundreds of dollars in the process. I strongly recommend that you find a Best Buy or another store which has a set-up where you can switch between their various speakers so you can hear the differences.

For what it is worth, the speakers that I purchased are bookshelf sized units by Polk Audio. But that was several years ago and I am sure there are new, different models out there.

All the usual disclaimers apply. I have absolutely no relationship with Best Buy or Polk Audio except as a satisfied customer who pays their full prices.