What's new
What's new

Linear shafting threading

Streak

Plastic
Hello, I’m making linear shafts that I will attach to a block, I want them to be fully attached and straight. I’ve seen shafts that’s only partially threaded, which I think will prevent the shaft from being fully attached?

So in order to accomplish what I want, they have to be completely threaded?

You don't use the threads to align the shafts. You use a precise pilot bore with a suitable depth and fit for alignment before the threads and enough threads at the end to hold it together.

If I thread the whole portion of the shafts, and completely screw them down into the holes, will the wall/face of the shafts against the block align the shafts straight?

Like this:

If I thread the whole portion of the shafts, and completely screw them down into the holes, will the wall/face of the shaft against the block align the shafts straight?

Like this: RHJU-4467-432FGYTF-5432 — ImgBB

Yes, provided the shoulder on the shaft is perfectly square with the centerline and there are no chip, swarf, thread irregularities or other defects to prevent good contact.

If I thread the whole portion of the shafts, and completely screw them down into the holes, will the wall/face of the shafts against the block align the shafts straight?

Like this:

That appears to be a 2 piece assembly, not a "threaded all the way" piece.

But your a machinist, make them however you want.

The shoulder can provide a "relatively" accurate alignment of the shaft to make it perpendicular to the seating face....conditions as noted above by TGT....
That arrangement will not however give accurate location as to position....Tapped holes and threads generally will not give good repeatable position location...
A counter bore that is bored to fit the OD of your pins would be better...

Cheers Ross

Back